Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2008 19:00

Cannot set home page in MS Internet explorer

I have reinstalled XP PRO SP2 in my Latitude (clean installation, the disk completely reformatted)  and all is nice , but I discovered that I cannot set up anymore the start page of Internet explorer (6) to any web address (google in my case) . It start always with a strange (at least for me) page  http://www.www.daemon-search.com / that does not work. Just to test I installed Firefox too and in this case there is no problem to set properly the start page to whatever I want.

Can anybody suggest a workaround to fix this problem?

Thanks

G Paolo

136 Posts

February 15th, 2008 21:00

Tried the second advise, but no success, just only because regedit did not allow me to change the key you suggested (I don't know the reason why). Any other suggestion?
G Paolo

71 Posts

The easiest way, you could have tried it already, is to navigate to the page you will have for home page. Then enter "Tool" tab on menu. Go to "Internet Options". Then apply "Use Current". I am not 100% sure on the last one. I dont have english XP. It is the option to the left ender the box where your current page is typed.

If this does not work. Hit "start" then "run" type "regedit" Then navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" Locate the string "Start Page" in the right window. Change value to the page you would. Close this window. Start Internet Explorer It should have been solved.

71 Posts

Check that you are logged on as administrator Then you should be able to change it.

12K Posts

February 16th, 2008 02:00

First of all, without any outside influence, any user can set their own home page.  No Admin rights are needed.

The two things that come to mind are security software blocking a change or a third party supplied disc that sets a predetermind home page whihc thne is being controlled by a security suite.

Did you set the home page to that search engine?

136 Posts

February 16th, 2008 13:00

I have Mcafee as antivirus and I tried to set the page to www.google.com.  I'll disble it before trying again. No third party disc used and indeed i tryed almost after having completed the reinstallation of XP, MS Office, VISIO, Project, ADOBE PRO 8, McAfee and Turbocad.

Thanks

G Paolo

136 Posts

February 16th, 2008 21:00

Solved, as per your advise. It was Mcafee to block the operation. I have temporarily disabled it  and I succeeded in setting  the home page

Thanks

G Paolo

12K Posts

February 17th, 2008 03:00

Dig into the control panle of the Mcafee suite and I think you will be able to adjust that as necessary.

You can mark your own threads as solved.

No Events found!