Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2009 21:00

Cd to format PC.

Hey people. 

I bought an XPS 730 , Quad core Q6600 at 2.4 GHz with 4gb of ram that runs Vista Home Premium 32-Bit.

The PC has been working fine since the first day I got it , but being a year old , I want to format it. Problem is , I don't know if I have the CD/DVD to do it...

The only CD/DVD that I think would do the job , is a Sound Blaster X-Fi CD with : Windows XP/Vista , Build Version : (couples of numbers) printed on the CD.

Is it the right CD/DVD ?

thx for the answer.

171 Posts

August 4th, 2009 02:00

You didn't get a backup disc of your operating system with your PC?

You can request a free backup disc from Dell, and you will recieve it usually within 2 or 3 days.

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

Another option is to do a restore to factory settings, which will restore your computer to the day you got it. (this will erase all of your files and programs you installed ) make sure you bachup any files you may need to keep.

To restore, power on PC, after you see the Dell logo, repeatedly  press the F8 key.. When the restore screen appears, follow the directions to restore your PC to factory original settings.

1. How to Restore Windows Vista to Factory Settings

2. Step 1

Burn all your important files to a CD or store on a memory stick. Remember you will lose each bit of information that you had stored in your computer including the programs that you had installed, such as Microsoft Office.

3. Step 2

Unplug all the devices and drivers from your CPU (except the keyboard and the mouse), including your printer, camera and memory stick.

4. Step 3

Shut off the computer and then turn it on, or simply restart it.

5. Step 4

As soon as you see the Dell logo at the start keep on hitting the F8 key repeatedly. Do not stop until you see the screen that says "Repair your computer." There will be other options too but chose this option and hit Enter.

6. Step 5

Next you will see a prompt window giving you options to select the keyboard layout select from the drop-down menu "US" and click "OK."

7. Step 6

On the next screen you will be asked to select the user ID and the password of your Windows Vista account. Select your user account, but make sure your user account has administrative functions. Type in your password. If you don't have a password, leave it blank and click "OK."

8. Step 7

Now you will come to a window with multiple options. Choose the one at the bottom that reads, "Dell Factory Image Restore." If you are unsure at this point whether you want to go ahead and restore your factory settings you may click "Restart" or the "Shut Down" buttons at the bottom of this prompt window. The computer will restart your computer without executing this operation, and you will get your most recent settings back. Otherwise clicking "Dell Factory Image Restore" will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete.

1.3K Posts

August 4th, 2009 03:00

There is an impression," If it is not broke do not fix it." I would order a set of recovery disc.

1.3K Posts

August 4th, 2009 03:00

170 Posts

August 6th, 2009 00:00

Your Sound Blaster CD is not the Operating System re-installation disk.

You can get the OS installation DVDs here if in the US: (Same site mentioned by Morpheousman above)

Request Backup Discs

Outside the US your suppose to contact your local Sales Support.

Good Luck,

No Events found!