Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2009 13:00

Changing from Vista 32 to Vista 64

Is there a way to change from a Vista 32Bit OS to a Vista 64Bit system?  I purchased a Dell XPS 32 Bit computer having Vista Ultimate, I now would like to change to a Dell Vista Ultimate 64Bit on the same computer.  I contacted Dell, and was bounced around between Customer Service and Sales about 5 times with an answer finally being there's nothing I can do, that I'm stuck with the original 32Bit Vista Ultimate that was pre-loaded when I purchased my computer.  I'm willing to purchase a Vista Ultimate 64Bit OS, but the service rep said they couldn't do that or sell me a 64Bit OS???

I'm posting this on the Forum, thinking there maybe  another answer, a better answer to accomplish what I like to do.

16 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 14:00

I have been doing a ;ittle digging on this subject, and so far I'm thinking it's possible. It seems as though most new processors are capable of running 32-bit or 64-bit. One link I found said to go to control panel, click on "System and Maintenence", then "Performance Information and Tools". Just below the Windows Experience Index window is a link that says "View and print details".Under System is one that says 64-bit capable. If it says yes, then you are set to go. Another link I found says that you can use an upgrade disk, but not an OEM disk to upgrade. It seems as though the commercial disks come with both 32=bit and 64-bit versions of windows, while OEM disks only contain one or the other. You won't be able to just upgrade from 32 to 64-bit directly, you will have to do a clean install, but don't remove the 32-bit first. You have to boot up oiff the upgrade disk, choose th 64- bit upgrade, and it will search the disk for a qualifying product to upgrade. If you remove the 32-bit first, there won't be one. After it sees that you have a qualifying product, it will format the disk, etc. You wil loose all info, so make sure you have everything backed up! I have read quite a few places around about this, and 50% say there is no speed advantage, while the other 50% swear there is. I have 32-bit Vista Business with 4GB ram, of which the BIOS locks out 500MB. I wonder if updating to the 64-bit will allow me access to this.The 4GB+ memory management is the main plus to 64-bit for me. Most things I read say that most 32-bit programs will run on the WOW (windows on windows) layer so they don't know the difference, but no 16 or 8-bit progams will run at all. I have an old 16-bit DOS program that I can't bear to part with, so on my Vista setup I found that Microsoft's Virtual PC program works pretty good, and there is a 64-bit version of this as well.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Buy Vista somewhere such as www.newegg.com (where I buy most of my PC parts) or www.compusa.com and you can install it yourself.  You can buy an "OEM" version which is less expensive than a full Retail version and the only difference is you won't get any free software support from Microsoft - if you need Vista software support from Microsoft you will have to pay for it.  However, the Retail version only has a limited free support time so it's not really a big deal.  I'm using the OEM versions on my home built PC that has both Vista 32bit and Vista 64 bit installed (on separate hard drives).  But, I'm doing almost everything with the 32 bit OS.  The only thing I'm currently using the 64 bit version for is my computer based audio recording studio.

The only other thing is to "do your homework" and make sure there are Dell Vista 64 bit drivers available for the Dell proprietary hardware and that all the peripherals that you have (e.g. printers) have Vista 64 bit drivers and that all the software you MUST run will work with Vista 64 bit. 

14.4K Posts

If you live in the  US and are still under warranty you are entitled to the the 64 bit version of Vista that came with your computer free from Dell. You need to contact Tech Support and request the Disk.

If you let us know what system you have we can help you determine wether or not you can run it. Most newer system will. Another check would be to go to the Driver and download Page at Dell Support and plug in either your service tag number or just the model type and then select the drivers option, see if there is a 64 bit listing of drivers. If there is then you know that the system will run 64 bit OS

Now another thing to do it check all your cirtical apps to see if they're 64 bit  compatble

3 Posts

Thanks for the quick response Firebed, I don't live too far from you at The Villages, FL.  I'n not a "super-techie" so I might have someone do this for me after purchasing the the 64Bit version.  Again, thanks for the response.

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 15:00

If you live in the  US and are still under warranty you are entitled to the the 64 bit version of Vista that came with your computer free from Dell. You need to contact Tech Support and request the Disk.

If you let us know what system you have we can help you determine wether or not you can run it. Most newer system will. Another check would be to go to the Driver and download Page at Dell Support and plug in either your service tag number or just the model type and then select the drivers option, see if there is a 64 bit listing of drivers. If there is then you know that the system will run 64 bit OS

Now another thing to do it check all your cirtical apps to see if they're 64 bit  compatble

Dave unfortunately I'm not under warranty, I purchased the computer (per my invoice) on 6/20/2007.  It's a Dell 710 XPS @.4GHz w/Quad Core and 4GB of RAM.  I've checked the Control Panel under "Performance Information and Tools" which has a "yes" for 64 Bit.  Am I out-of-luck to get the 64 bit version from Dell?  If not, how do I get to the right phone location from Tech Support.  I'm willing to pay for support and or the disk if necessary.

Tony

8 Posts

Hello,

What's the simplest way to check about whether your apps are 64 bit compatible.

Marylandms

16 Posts

Thanks Dave. I had already checked on the drivers download page , but didn't realize that because the 64-bit showed up that it meant anything. I went thru the steps I listed in my other post to check it out, not realizing- DOH! My research has led me to believe that most 32-bit programs will run ok in compatibility mode, just drivers that will not work. All the drivers seem to be there except the video. I have ATI Mobility Radeon X-1800, and no drivers show up in the download page. I went to the ATI site, but when you put a laptop card in the matrix, they say that they don't furnish any laptop drivers, that you have to go to the manufacturer's website for drivers.I suppose that the restore disks that I would get from Dell would have one. Maybe. Any way thanks for the info about the restore disks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2009 16:00

Tony, you are close.  If you can't get it from Dell, the OEM version as I suggested is the way to go.  I bought mine at CompUSA store in Clearwater.  There is also one in Orlando on Orange Blossom Trail just north of Sandlake road (near the Florida Mall).  I don't know anyone in the Villages or near there that does PC work so I can't recommend anyone to you.

But keep in mind the Dell required install sequence and if you have someone else do it, they will need to follow the sequence for a successful install.  The general sequence is (1) Install Vista (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers such as sound, video, etc. 

16 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 16:00

marylandms,

Go to: www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility or there is some good info at www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx .There is a link at the bottom of that second one to a MS FAQ page on 32 vs 64-bit.

14.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2009 18:00

Hello,

What's the simplest way to check about whether your apps are 64 bit compatible.

Marylandms

Most are but you could go to the vendors web site to check.

14.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2009 18:00

Tony

A 710 is 64 bit compatable and will run 64 bit OS's.

You do not need to contact Dell why pay more? If you want a 64 bit go to some place like Newegg and pick up an OEM version. The only two caveats are you are you own software support and the disk will be tied to your motherboard so you cannot install the OS on another system like you can with a full retail version.

Here is what I would recommend you do. If you have another drive get the x64 version of windows 7 and install that on a second drive. The only driver that I needed to install was the Creative sound driver. All others were already in the OS. I am currently running both Vista X64 and Win 7 X64 and let me tell you as much as I like Vista I really really really like win 7. It is Vista on steroids and will be the death nail for XP.

No Events found!