Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2014 04:00

Chip set drivers

Dell Precision M6500 Tag No: 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled windows twice, firstly because of a ransom virus locking down the computer the second time to correct the order of installing drivers. I do not understand what is meant by installing Dell System Software and chipset drivers first, when windows automatically installs these drivers, does it mean updating drivers? The two attachments show the chipset drivers on my system, all 8 drivers show a version date of 21/06/ 2006. The Dell driver site shows 3 recommended drivers under chipset with much later dates. On downloading the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility from Dell, clicking on the file opens a

small window asking me to select a folder to unzip to, I accept the one listed C:\ dell\ drivers, next a window saying the files have been successfully unzipped, Intel set up program opens saying it will install the Chipset Device software on to this computer, click yes to the license agreement, after install message saying the software has been installed successfully, reboot, device manager still shows the old drivers

I have a problem reconciling in device manager/system devices the 8 chipset items with the single item in the Dell driver list.

I have no wish to reinstall windows again but if necessary will do so. Age is a problem step by step instructions would be great.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 4th, 2014 07:00

For step by step instructions you may wish to refer to my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Regarding the Intel Chipset I would recommend you install Intel Chipset Device Software directly from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&keyword=intel+chipset+device+software&lang=eng

44 Posts

January 4th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have tried Intel, they say 'this version is valid',  your instructions are great but way out of my depth, back 20 years and I would have coped, I perhaps had better leave well alone. 

Many thanks

Ray

No Events found!