tota1ecl1pse
1 Nickel

Clean installed Vista 64bit SP1 on Inspiron 518 and Errors HELP.

I clean installed Vista 64bit SP1 on my Inspiron 518.  Since I need to download drivers manually, I checked on the dells website.  There are sooo many of drivers that I need to install.  Here are my questions. 

1.  Some of the stuff says urgent, do I need to install them??  or is it already installed in my computer? 

2.  How do I check, if the urgent files or upgrade is affecting my computer??

3.  there is no "!" mark on device manager except SM Bus Controller... what do I need to download from dell driver website to install??  nothing was specifically explained on there for SM Bus Controller.

Thank You very much.

0 Kudos
15 Replies

Re: Clean installed Vista 64bit SP1 on Inspiron 518 and Errors HELP.

tota1ecl1pse,

Maybe this will clear thing up for you.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
tota1ecl1pse
1 Nickel

Thank you but I don't see Chipset or SMBus driver section at all.  This is what shows on Inspiron Desktop 518

-Application(6)

-Audio(1)

-Bios(1)

-CD/DVD(3)

-Communication(2)

-Diagnostics(1)

-Input Device Drivers(3)

-Network(2)

-SaTA Drives(2)

-System Utilities(1)

-Video(4)

There is nothing for Chipset or SM Bus Driver; however, I have ! mark on device manager.  Now what???  non of the section actually don't contain file to get rid of ! makr on SM Bus Driver on my computer....Any help would be appreciated.    and thank you for reply Rick.

0 Kudos
tota1ecl1pse
1 Nickel

sorry I will little more detail.  My Inspiron 518 came with Vista 32Bit OS installed.  I clean installed using Vista 64bit OS on the computer.  now do I still need Download files from 32bit from Drivers & Downloads Home?  will it work???  I see Chipset category in Vista 32 bit section; however, not in Vista 64bit OS section.

The other question. I guess just one more Smiley Happy

on Vista 32 bit OS section I see Video section

Intel-Driver applies to: G31/G33/Q33/Q35 Graphics Controller

On Vista 64bit OS Section I don't see the Video section at all

Even though I clean installed with Vista 64bit OS, Do I still need to Download video section Intel-Driver from vista 32bit section and install?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

The list of drivers for the Inspiron 518 desktop (Vista 32) is:

• Intel® G33 chipset driver
  • Realtek™ ALC888 audio drivers
  • Intel integrated video drivers
  • Realtek RTL81XX network drivers
  • Drivers for any PCI Express® video cards installed
  • Drivers for any PCI or PCI Express cards installed

It should have the same driver requirements running Vista 64.

0 Kudos
tota1ecl1pse
1 Nickel

Tahnk you for your answer Smiley Happy

Just to be little more clear.

Are you saying, I could install download from Inspiron 518 Vista 32bit even though when I am running Vista 64 bit?

Only thing I can think to get rid of SM Bus Controller error thing is Intel G33 Chipset Driver for I can only see it under 32bit section but not Vista 64bit section.

I guess I simply don't want to blow up my computer.... since I heard horror stories related to installing chipset drivers for 64bit machine especially related to Inspiron 518.

0 Kudos
Davet50
5 Iridium

If the file is not listed then that generally means the driver is built into the 64 bit OS already. It was with Ultimate 64 on my system.

Since you have the OS installed open up device manager and look for devices with a ! or X next to them. Those would be the ones that would need to have drivers installed for

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
tota1ecl1pse
1 Nickel

"Since you have the OS installed open up device manager and look for devices with a ! or X next to them. Those would be the ones that would need to have drivers installed for"

OK so I have SM Bus Controller has ! mark on there.  My current system is Vista 64bit; however, there is no file available from driver section from dell to fix this.  Only file which might fix is under Vista 32 bit section driver section.  Vista 32bit section actually has chipset section which I can Download.

Question 1.  First of all, (whether vista 32bit section or 64bit section) Which one do I need to download to fix SM Bus Controller???  It has ! on there.

Question 2.  If it is the file under Vista 32bit section from Dell's Driver Website, then Can I still use it even though I am using 64bit OS?

Question 3.  I am pretty sure that it is the file that Chipset section under 32bit Section but I am not sure.  What can I do?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
optnes
2 Iron

I'm not sure if all versions of Dell's Inspiron 518 platform will support the 64-bit version of Windows Vista w/SP1, but regardless any 64-bit version of a MS OS will require the 64-bit "chipset" drivers, which are available at Dell's or Intel's web-sites.

0 Kudos
Davet50
5 Iridium

Q1. you need a chipset driver. GO HERE and download the #1 file

Q2. When it come to some drivers a 32 bit will suffice on a 64 bit. But thre chipset is the traffic cop and needs to be a 64 bit driver.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos