Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2004 01:00

Clean uninstall for Internet Explorer?

Does anyone know if there is a clean uninstall for Internet Explorer? My sister-in-law has been having problems getting online, and it seems to be determined that it is her browser. They want her to uninstall and then reinstall her Internet Explorer . She called me to download it and bring a CD for her. I was wondering if there was a clean uninstall to run before she reinstalls.

Thanks

18.8K Posts

July 6th, 2004 01:00

wishiunderstood,

IE cannot be uninstalled. It is a part of the operating system. Instructions for reinstalling it (it goes over the prior installation and rewrites it) are here.

July 6th, 2004 02:00

Denny D.,

The answer man!! I was hoping you were around!

The dude at Dell told her to go to Google and get IE Explorer Servie Pack 1. She reminded the guy that she was not able to access the internet, and hetold her that  if someone copied to a CD and gave it to her that would work. Will it?

A very general question for you- what would cause it (her browser)  to mess up in the first place? She got her Dell about five months ago, has been with Earthlink both before and since. She has never had a problem until she got back to town last week. She said the person who watched her house for her went online without a problem while she was gone. Is it possible she could've gone to some site that could've caused the problem?

Do you ever sleep?

Thanks

July 6th, 2004 03:00

Denny D.,

I told her to do that when she picked up her new PC. I have both and told her to do the same.

About the spyware possibility, that's what I was kind of thinking.

Again, as always, thanks for your time and your help!!

wishiunderstood

18.8K Posts

July 6th, 2004 03:00

wishiunderstood,

The most common cause for unexplained problems recently is spyware. If she doesn't routinely check for it she should. Have her download Ad-aware from here and Spybot from here. Check online for updates to their databases then run them and delete all the spyware they identify.

No Events found!