Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

April 5th, 2008 08:00

Computer deleted essay and all back-ups.

Yesterday I was doing my essay, and I saved, before hitting "Close" in Microsoft word. It asked if I want to save changes. Knowing that its in the habit of asking this when I look at another window before I close it, regardless of whether I make any changes, I clicked "Yes". It freaked. The typing area went blank and the window switched between the "Active" window and the "Background" window screen fast (I.e. the coloured bar at the top went grey-coloured-grey-coloured...) and after a while I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE. It worked, and the essay dissappeared. It was stored in a pen-drive, and even though I set the computer so it would save a back-up every five minutes, there were no back-ups in the word folder.

Whats going on? Can I get my essay back, please?

And my computer STILL makes a random screech every now and again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2008 21:00

Always include the version of the software in your posts! ;)

Search the hard drive and pen drive for files with the .wbk (word backup) extension. You might be able to find a copy of the essay, but it might not be the last version.

If that doesn't get you at least some version of the file, search for both drives for .asd files. One of them might be the right Word 'auto-recovery' file of the essay.

As for the noise, possibly a fan or hard drive? Back up your files on external media (CD) asap.

Ron 

528 Posts

April 5th, 2008 21:00

If what RoHe said did not help then try

undelete try the trail version and see if that find it.

here is a different software with the same name but its free freeundelete worth a shot but no promises but try what RoHe said first ;)

also again as RoHe said the noises are probablly your harddrive going bad, copy all your files you need or clone that drive to another cause once your harddrive goes bad all your info and stuff is gone

Message Edited by Otiss on 04-05-2008 05:44 PM

12 Posts

April 6th, 2008 15:00

The thing is, I posted about the noise four months ago and no-one replied.

I solved it, and RoHe's post was the nearest to the solution I found.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 6th, 2008 20:00

Want to share the solution so the rest of us can learn from your success?

Ron 

12 Posts

April 7th, 2008 08:00

I searched for all files modified within the last week, and noticed a temp file on the pen-drive. Opened it, saw that it was the essay, and saved. It did the same thing, but now there were TWO identical back-ups. Copied and pasted the words into a new document and saved that.

Now, as long as its on the computer itself, its fine. But if its on a pen-drive, I have to actually copy the words from a format-free notepad file, because it still crashes the same way. It hates my formatting.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 7th, 2008 15:00

Sounds like you  may need to transfer all the files off the pen drive and then reformat it. Or maybe it's just failing, and they do...

Ron 

February 14th, 2019 15:00

Have you found the solution finally? I have the same problem...

No Events found!