Highlighted
Flia
1 Copper

Corrupt Win Xp on Dell Latitude D600

Hi,

This is a very old laptop that has been stored in a cupboard for a couple of years.

Now it only works in fail safe mode. The normal mode starts up, but then has memory issues (can't read memory) and shuts down.

So I have another XP disc and tried to repair windows from that, but it asks for "admin password".

Is this a Dell password or the XP original pw (the laptop had XP preinstalled and no disc came with it).

Anyone know if there's another way to repair the XP?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Corrupt Win Xp on Dell Latitude D600

Hi Flia,

Welcome to the community.

If you have not setup the administrator password for your current windows then you can hit the return key without entering anything and it should continue without any problems.

Please perform these steps and let us know the results of the same so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

See Windows Reinstallation Guide

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Look at page 432 and run the diagnostics.

If they pass see A Clean Install of Windows XP on page 174 ideally you should use a Dell XP Reinstallation CD but your CD and product key should work. If you have to back up data see page 436, note the full version of Acronis should be able to do this also.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Flia
1 Copper

Yep, whatever I try it keeps asking for a CD.

Is there really no downloadable reinstallation file?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Unfortunately not. I have requested Dell to make one many, many times now. You are best to get one from eBay. Ensure that you get one to match your COA. It will either be Home or Professional for that model.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Flia
1 Copper

Darn..I'll install Ubuntu instead Smiley Sad

0 Kudos