Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 16th, 2014 10:00

Creating a Windows 8 Recovery Drive for an Inspiron that will not load past the Dell logo screen!! HELP

So I have been messing around with this laptop for weeks now trying to figure out how to get it back to normal loading and everything. What happened at first was that my husband noticed the computer was very slow in responce to just about everything. We checked internet connections and nothing helped. Well one night he shut it down, and the next day when he tried to turn it on, it would state "Checking Media (Fail)" then change to another screen that said "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine".  After attempting to reboot the machine, these same notifications came up over and over.  So, I researched tons of forums on tips of how to get it "re-booted" This was a few weeks ago so I dont remember exactly what I did. I changed boot options, this and that, and nothing helped. However the absolute last thing I did was changed something to "Intel Smart Response", and now my computer will NOT move past the Dell logo. even f2 and f12 wouldnt work. The loading bar under the Dell logo will pop up, but it will say like that. I have tried waiting it out for hours and nothing changes. My brother did try a Recovery USB, but he forgot that my laptop is Windows 8 and his is 7, so needless to say that didnt work at all.

So my problem is now that I need to create that Recovery USB thing. I was not aware that I should have made this as soon as my computer came in. I have never heard of anything like this before, until now. So my questions are:

1. How can I get my Dell to function properly and get back on track?

2. How can I make the Recovery USB without a working laptop?

3. Can I create the USB with a friends windows 8?

4. Can someone HELP ME!!

March 16th, 2014 11:00

"Checking Media" and "No Boot Device Found" sounds like it's trying to boot from the DVD drive but not finding a Windows system disk.  You can try putting one in the drive.  If you don't have a Windows 8 system disk, you'll have to keep trying the F12 bypass (keep pressing it repeatedly...don't hold or only press once) to get you into boot options, and then make sure you select your hard drive.  You should be able to request a system disk from Dell (and you should anyway...even if you do recover from the USB drive).

ALSO: please remember that, unless you made an image of your hard-drive or used backup software, your "recovery" options will be limited to repairing the existing installation or reinstalling altogether.  If you reinstall, you could lose your files and settings.

For what it's worth,  my Inspiron started acting up after about a year (Windows 7) with overheating on high-demand programs (even with a cooling pad, plenty of ventilation and a desktop fan blowing on it).  That was followed by the slow performance you described and now I'm getting a "hard drive failure" error. 

I've seen other users report the similar issues with their Inspirons on these forums (and others) so I think we just got stuck with a lemon :emotion-6:.  Hope you have better luck with yours....I've pretty much given up on mine and moved back to my old desktop.

March 16th, 2016 14:00

My Inspiron Windows 8, Start up repairs keeps launching, windows will not load. Its in this cycle until battery dies. Any help. My system is still under warranty.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 16th, 2016 20:00

Windows 8 struck in auto-repair loop

en.community.dell.com/.../19524794

No Events found!