Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2007 09:00

Creator 9 only works when connected to a network or internet on my new dell 1505 with vista

I have a new dell 1505 with the roxio creator de (9).
It has vista..

I want to tell you it worked before without being on the net, but I can't. I had about 5 days before I deployed to get everything updated and working for my deployment.. I was connected to dsl the whole time, and tried the program and it worked.

Well I get to my new home for undisclosed amount of days and the program doesn't work..

It comes up with roxio has stopped working..
and tries to search microsoft for a fix...

Now when I log into someones local network it works fine also when I connect to the internet through a wireless place we have, it works fine...

Disconnect and again roxio has stopped working.....

I have tried the patch from dell and roxio for the dla.. doesn't do anything for me.

I have read on the net that more than a handful of guys say that mediaplayer 11 has caused issues when it shuts down..

What the heck would cause it to just work when connected to the internet or a local network connection??????????

I do not have the install disc, but I did find a guy that has a 1705 dell.. Mine is a 1505.. He has a roxio install disc.... would I be able to use this to reinstall???
I have a ticket in to roxio abou tthis and a post on thier forum.. I am posting here hoping to get some help also....

16 Posts

May 7th, 2007 15:00

back to the top

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2007 22:00

Thanks for posting. This is a strange issue. I had a Dell tech from El Salvador send me an email on this recently asking if I had seen it. I had not and did not think I ever would, but I saved the email anyway. :smileyhappy: The original email was in Spanish, but I will do my best to translate the steps to resolve this issue. Try these steps and let me know how it goes. He found the information here at Roxio's  support site, and their kb article has more steps which go into greater detail. His method he used is below. It appears similar to the Roxio kb method with some omitted steps. He says he used his method to resolve the issue for his customer.

1. download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility 
  2. use it to clean up any problems with any Sonic or Roxio software installations that it finds
  3. delete the following files:  C:\Program Files\Roxio
    C:\Program Files\Sonic
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Roxio
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Roxio
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Sonic
    C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio
  4. delete the following folders and all their  subfolders from the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software  > Roxio      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software  > Roxio
  5. disconnect from the internet and install Roxio from your buddy's cd. It is legal to do so, since you purchased the software with the system.

16 Posts

May 9th, 2007 02:00

Roxio says it is possibly a dell probelm..
I will try your soulution Bill. and let you know..

If you would like to see what roxio has to say read the following from bottom to top

WebTicket
05/08/07 8:39 PM      Well that's cute.... Your telling me Dell has the right to modify YOUR program? How can I be the only one with this issue?

I just bought this laptop in april. The install disc is your Roxio creator disc, not a Dell disc.

Your company must have some say in this or a fix to make it not have advertisments.......I think you are correct with that statement also.. When on the internet it pulls up the advertisements and loads them on the home screen of the program..

When just on a local network where the ads come up is just plain text saying not connected to the internet....

I will contact Dell, But this I have to say stinks..... If I was back in the States I would be on the phone, but since being deployed I have to depend on things like this ticket program you have...

I will say thank you for your help in this, but I feel I will get no where with this issue. If so I will probably order another program from a different company....

pghuman
05/08/07 1:00 PM      Call Dispositioned, Reason: Closed - Awaiting Information from the Customer pghuman
05/08/07 1:00 PM     

Thank you for Contacting Roxio Technical Support

It seems the version you have amy have been modified by Dell to show advertisements.  It will look for some type of network connection before the software is allowed to load.  Unfortunately we are not able to assit you in that matter, you will have to cotnact Dell and see if there is away to disable the ADs from loading and stop looking for an internet connection

Regards,
Roxio Technical Support
http://support.roxio.com

Have you tried our online self-service tools?  For instant support, please try one of the tools below:

Roxanne - http://roxio.com/en/support/nh/index.jhtml

Knowledgebase - http://search.roxio.com/

We are always looking for ways to improve so please click on the link below to complete our online support survey.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=806342804448

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate the feedback

...Ticket Closed WebTicket
05/07/07 2:21 PM      I tried exactly what you stated below. The only difference is the following are not in my startup or services list
# Roxio UPnP Renderer9
# Roxio UPnP Server 9
# LiveShare P2P Server 9

Should they be????

I did find a fellow dell user here with a new 1705. unlike me he brought all is disc. he hasn't installed the roxio he got. The disc looks exactly like mine did..
After I tired what you posted the same thing occurs.
ROXIO CREATOR HAS STOPPED WORKING
ad the following is added to it
"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a soulution is available..

So I uninstalled all roxio and sonic programs from my laptop
plus cleaned the registry of all the same product names.

I did a clean reinstall loaded everything except the drag to disc.
and guess what.. does the same thing..

It only works when connected to a local connection or an internet connection.
As for local connection. one of the guys has a game and made a ad hoc wifi network in the dorms...
no internet, BUT....... roxio will work then....

Any help would be appreciated
lvandervort
05/07/07 10:47 AM     

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

1.) Disable your startup items

a. Click on the Start button and select Run.

b. Type msconfig and click on the OK button or press the Enter key.

c. Select the Startup tab over on the right side.

d. Write down which items are checked, and then click on the Disable All button.

e. Select the Services tab.

f. Check the box that says hide all Microsoft Services

f. Click on the Disable All button.

Recheck the following applications in the Services tab.

# RoxioDB9
# Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9
# Roxio UPnP Renderer9
# Roxio UPnP Server 9
# LiveShare P2P Server 9

g. Click on the Apply button and then click on OK.

h. Click YES to restart the computer.

NOTE: To reverse these changes, follow the above steps and select enable all.

To optimize your computer you may want to check the items you really need to start when Windows starts like your Antivirus.

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support
http://support.roxio.com

Have you tried our online self-service tools?  For instant support, please try one of the tools below:

Roxanne - http://roxio.com/en/support/nh/index.jhtml

Knowledgebase - http://search.roxio.com/

We are always looking for ways to improve so please click on the link below to complete our online support survey.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=806342804448

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate the feedback
(LV)

...Ticket Closed WebTicket
05/04/07 8:56 PM      It is actually called creator de even though it is version 9
WebTicket
05/04/07 8:52 PM      Problem is when I click on the roxio home in my windows vista it says the program has stopped working..

It worked fine when I bought my new laptop. Dell 1505 1 gig ram 120 drive dvd burner dual core
Now it only works when I connect to the internet. Weird..
I am in the military and deployed right now and do not have a capable way to uninstall and reinstall the componants..
Is there something I can do??
Please help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2007 12:00

It is funny how their agent can say it's a Dell problem, while the solution is posted in their knowledge base and not ours. I think the fix they posted and I copied in this thread will work for you. Let me know how it goes. If you are unable to get it working, I can get the tech in El Salvador who posted the fix to remote into your system and fix it for you. Setting that up from the other side of the world may be tricky, but if we have to we can try.

NOTE: I believe that installing the program while not connected to the internet is a key component.

Message Edited by DELL-Bill B on 05-09-2007 09:02 AM

16 Posts

May 10th, 2007 04:00

Well I trid the clean install and nothing.. Same thing..
The only thing I see is a window pops up and say something about BDAV and not supporting it..

This is my reply over on the roxio forum

The ticket I have with them is still open..
As for the help from remote.. I don't see it working/ I get the laptop on internet about every 5 day(day off for me)

I do appreciate your help

16 Posts

May 10th, 2007 08:00

Well I'm not alone

Here is a new post on the roxio forum

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2007 13:00

I am researching your issue. I will post back as soon as I have some information.

16 Posts

May 10th, 2007 23:00

More peeps with the same issue

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 11th, 2007 13:00

I will have more news on this. I asked one of my tech support friends to recreate the issue. She was able to yesterday. I caught her for a moment this morning. She said she "figured out the error," and had to run. I am not sure if this means she figured out how to fix the error yet. I will chase her down today and get back to you with a possible workaround or fix.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 11th, 2007 15:00

We have a workaround!!...

I think. The issue seems to be caused by the application wanting to load up a Dell ad page when it launches- similar to the pages that launch along side AIM or MS Messenger. When it can not find the page, due to no internet connection, it errors out. We have escalated the issue for a proper fix, but we have figured out a workaround.

1. completely uninstall Roxio.
  2. install Roxio with no internet connection present.
  3. decline to register the product when prompted.
  4. test by launching offline.

Let me know how this goes, and watch for a patch from http://support.dell.com . Once the patch is installed, register the software if you like.

16 Posts

May 18th, 2007 00:00

Tried it all bill, and it was a no go. I don't get the option of not registering to come up.. The program after install still says stopped working... The Roxio tick said to uninstall the update manager.. I am going to try that next...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 18th, 2007 12:00

Darn. Well, I will keep digging and try for a better workaround. I will post back what I find.

16 Posts

May 19th, 2007 09:00

No go on deleteing the update manager too..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 21st, 2007 13:00

OK. Try this. Uninstall it. Disconnect from the internet. Install it again. Do not connect to the internet yet. Open your firewall and cofigure it to block the Roxio activation from accessing the internet. Then try using it when connected and not connected to the internet. Let me know how that goes.

16 Posts

May 24th, 2007 07:00

I'm giving up Bill..

I know it works when logged onto a network. So I get my buddy to to get his laptop to make a network then let me start using my program. I can still se it even after he closes the network.

I'll just deal with it til you guys and roxio get a fix...

Thanks

No Events found!