Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2012 15:00

CyberLink PowerDVD 9.6 AACS License Key Update Issue

Hi there,

I previously went to ask this question on CyberLink's support forums but they directed me here because apparently this is a Dell-customised piece of software...

My problem is, I recently got a new Blu-ray. It was released only a few days ago - Glengarry Glen Ross. Every other Blu-ray I put in my Blu-ray drive plays just fine without any problem, but when I stick in Glengarry Glen Ross it always comes up with the following message:

"AACS License Key Update: An important component of CyberLink PowerDVD requires periodic updates. New movies may not play back if the component is not updated now. Would you like to update now? (Error code = 0024)" and there is a yes and no button.

Every time I hit "yes", it will try to download this update but it will immediately throw me back to the same message about 3 seconds later in a continuous loop. So basically it will not let me play this Blu-ray which is a real shame. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm using CyberLink PowerDVD version 9.6.1.3522 which came pre-installed with my Dell laptop.

I've got a Dell XPS 15 (L502X), HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CT30N Blu-ray drive apparently just using Microsoft's drivers, and I'm running Windows 7. Any more techie info just ask. 

1 Message

March 22nd, 2015 21:00

You are DEFINITELY my new hero.  This worked perfectly and thank you so much for posting it.  I was able to wach the Blu-ray of "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" for the first time since buying the movie.  Unfortunately, I had already spent $80 on an external Blu-ray player for my computer since there didn't seem to be a fix for the drive in my computer.   However, I'll keep it as a backup because the same problem may occur in the future.  Thanks again. 

• 

3.3K Posts

November 5th, 2012 03:00

Hi TinyButDeadly,

This seems like the application you are using does not have sufficient codec to play the video format in the DVD which is not working.  Since you are unable to upgrade the Power DVD software, you may consider installing the codec separately.   There are several codecs available online, like K-Lite.

Please revert for further assistance.

November 6th, 2012 12:00

Hi, thanks for replying - I've already got K-lite installed on my machine and have done for about a year. Re-installing the packs did not resolve the problem, its definitely more to do with the AACS keys which actually allow you to proceed playing the Blu-rays. (This is one thing I really hate about the Blu-ray format,  and it is a fine example of Hollywood being far too over-protective. This never happened with DVD, AACS resolves nothing and just causes problems.)

If it does mean having to upgrade PowerDVD then I'm not prepared to do that at this time as it will set me back about £60. I could buy an actual Blu-ray player for cheaper than that.

4 Posts

I just ran into the same problem with Madagascar 3 last night (XPS15 with PowerDVD 9.6 here).  

Cyberlink no longer supports PowerDVD 9.x, so no AACS key updates directly from them.  

I think Dell should provide us a newer "OEM" version of PowerDVD that IS supported by Cyberlink.  For a machine still under warranty, I don't think I should have to buy PowerDVD or WinDVD so I can playback Blu-rays.

4 Posts

...and to answer Sujatha's suggestion - the issue isn't one of Codec, but of license keys.  The proper playback experience requires a stand-alone player with the proper encryption algorithms/keys.

• 

3.3K Posts

November 7th, 2012 10:00

Hi TinyButDeadly,

I request you to send me a private message with the system service tag to escalate the issue to the engineering team.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

4 Posts

November 7th, 2012 16:00

Hi Sujatha K, can I please get similar support?  I'm having the same issue - PowerDVD 9.6 no longer is supported.

• 

3.3K Posts

November 8th, 2012 07:00

Hi daeleman,

I have escalated the issue to the Engineering team. Once I get an update, I will keep you posted.

• 

3.3K Posts

November 14th, 2012 09:00

Hi TinyButDeadly,

I suggest that you flash BIOS and Video card diver in the respective order from the link given below:

http://dell.to/W7E0yt

Click on ‘BIOS’ and install the latest BIOS update. Please connect the ac adapter as this step needs uninterrupted power supply. Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop. Restart the system after each driver installation.

After flashing BIOS, click on Video and from the list install the appropriate Video card driver for you system.

Also I suggest you to uninstall Power DVD and reinstall the same once again.

Click on Start and in the search box type ‘Programs and Features’. Click on the folder ‘Programs and features’. And uninstall the Power DVD software.

Click on the link below and click on ‘My Dell Downloads’ to install the Power DVD software. Once the software is installed, click on update to  update the application.

http://dell.to/X8w8CN

1 Message

December 8th, 2012 10:00

I am unable to download the Power DVD software from My Dell Downloads. It's listed, and has downloads remaining, but when I click on download it says "verifying" and then nothing happens. Please help.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 12th, 2012 11:00

Hi GoldinBear,

I recommend you to use Internet Explorer browser to download the software. In case you are using Internet Explorer, I suggest that you reset IE settings. To reset Internet Explorer automatically, click on the link below and follow the onscreen instruction:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

After the reset check if you can download the Power DVD software.

Revert for further queries.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi DELL-Sujatha

im having this same issuse and have uninstalled powerdvd and when i go to my dell downloads i get service tag unsupported i have a dell inspiron 17 se i dont understand what is going on is it that i got mine refurbhished or what?

i have order reinstall disc and received powerdvd 9.5 which does't work as i have the 3d addons for this laptop and i m getting no 3d support in 9.5!!! the buying point for me was the 3d  in this laptop and becuase of the 32gb msata card which killed my windows 7  with random crashes when it was enable as a chace drive  for the main drive when i first got this laptop i have lost my only way to watch 3d now with out forking out the money to buy powerdvd

7 Posts

March 30th, 2013 20:00

Hello,

This issue has not been resolved in this posting and I now have the same issue.

The DVD player that was supplied with my computer will not update to the newest AACS keys. I also run L502X, but have  a Matshita BD-RE UJ240AF running the original 1.00 firmware. Dell does not have any newer firmware for this drive on their site. When I try to play a new blu-ray I get the AACS error and PowerDVD does not update to fix the error. I have installed the newest BIOS and video drivers and still have the issue.

Please provide us with DVD software which will update the AACS keys!

Thank You.

7 Posts

March 30th, 2013 20:00

The PowerDVD website says the following:

As the development phase of CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra retail version has now ended, there will be no further Blu-ray Disc compatibility updates for this version. Any Blu-ray Disc titles released after 2011 June may not be compatible with CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra retail version.

I didn't even purchase my computer until after June 2011, and was apparently supplied with a program which prevents me from viewing Blu-ray disks made with more recent AACS keys. Dell needs to fix their DVD software OEM contracts  to ensure that the software provider will provide AACS keys in perpetuity even if they do not update any other portions of the program. If Dell cannot do this, then they need to provide updated software with the AACS keys to all users instead.

1 Message

March 31st, 2013 14:00

I couldn't agree more. And i'm not blaming Dell for the issue arising in the first place, Mistakes happen. I do however hold Dell accountable for how long it takes them to get a resolution in place. Having a laptop with a Blu-ray player drive in it that wont work is ridiculous.

No Events found!