Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 24th, 2015 07:00

D630 Restore

Hi,

I have a D630 with Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>.

The sticker on the bottom is for Win/XP. <ADMIN NOTE: Product Key Removed>.

When I boot in Safe Mode, in Control Panel / System, it states Win 7 Enterprise, 64-bit, with "Build 7601-SP1" on the screen borders.

If I boot normally, it alternately loops between attempting to apply an update, or install Microsoft Front Page.

I looked in System Tools, and there's only a single, 149GB partition (I guess the Recovery partition, if it ever existed, was wiped out).

Is there anyway to obtain the original XP install media?

Thanks.

PaulJayD

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 25th, 2015 02:00

XP reached end of life over a year and a half ago. Its continued use is not recommended.

I advise to install Windows 10 TH1 using the Insider Preview as a means of getting the free upgrade:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

2 Posts

October 25th, 2015 09:00

OK, thanks for the quick response. Will check it out.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 25th, 2015 15:00

" The sticker on the bottom is for Win/XP "

:emotion-2:

You might can access the recovery partition by pressing Ctrl + F11 immediately after the computer is turned on.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 25th, 2015 15:00

" Is there anyway to obtain the original XP install media "?

:emotion-2:

You'll find lots of XP's installation media on EBAY or Amazon. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 25th, 2015 17:00

You might can access the recovery partition by pressing Ctrl + F11 immediately after the computer is turned on.

The ability to restore to XP factory settings isn't going to work if it has Windows 7 Enterprise currently installed.

No Events found!