Highlighted
Xian Renegade
1 Nickel

DELL BACKUP & RECOVERY DISASTER ON WINDOWS 8

I am a disabled person on a state disability grant. My son got me a laptop on contract so that I can study for free on www.alison.com.  The machine ordered was a Lenovo with 4GB RAM but I received a Dell with only 2GB RAM instead.

The machine itself is a better one than the Lenovo as it has Bluetooth, which I needed. I do have a Bluetooth dongle but that is not as good as the built-in one and it takes up a USB port.  So, the Dell's only sin is its minuscule amount of RAM.

From Day 1, the Windows 8 and/or Dell's own software gave endless trouble. What made my system crash frequently was Dell's own legacy software, such as backup & recovery, pc health, etc. I do not know how else to disable it as I did uncheck it in Task Manager's Startup manager, yet it always would re-activate itself. I then used Revo's boot manager and that did not even help. It became so bad that I could not even get the machine to boot up properly. Nothing helped and I tried to get support from both Dell and Windows online, but to no avail.  I never had so many system freezes in my life. The Dell system could not even complete a set of startup DVD's - it neede3d six blank disks but always failed at the start of Disk 2. So, when my Windows 8 clearly needed a re-install, the nearest Dell help being almost a thousand miles away, I had little option. My XP refused to install so I went the Linux way.

I am still not happy as I feel that there should have been some response from either Microsoft or Dell, I requested them to call / email me as I could not get online properly.

Now I am stuck with a new machine, its OS replaced by Linux and no way to reinstall my Windows. If my Dell could complete the system disk creation process, there would have been no problem.  All it did was to leave me with useless DVD's that had cost me money.  I am not a happy man at all.

My previous Dell had Vista on it and it performed really well, despite havin g had only 1GB RAM. That was a little Vostro from 2008.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ieee488
6 Gallium

RE: DELL BACKUP & RECOVERY DISASTER ON WINDOWS 8

On contract?

I have no idea what that means.

Talk to whichever company your son got the laptop "on contract" from.

Who knows what they did to it.

0 Kudos
Xian Renegade
1 Nickel

RE: DELL BACKUP & RECOVERY DISASTER ON WINDOWS 8

It came from a national telecom company and was bundled with a data plan and a HSDPA dongle.  Talking to them would be precisely useless as they have no IT people and their CRM desk is as hopeless as can be.  One did not expect software issues of this nature but it may be that Dell's install files may have been slightly corrupted or that the original drive preparation had a hiccup. Usually disk images will get "ghosted" and that process is very reliable but it can go wrong.

0 Kudos