mtcsltd
1 Copper

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bluescreen on Latitude E6400 Vista x64 Ultimate

Jump to solution

I get this problem with my E6400. I've installed the Windows debugging tools and Symbols but I can't find the driver responsible for the problem. Has anyone had this issue withe their E6400?

I get the problem when I do a shutdown to normal power-off state. sometimes if I leave the laptop it happens when it goes to sleep. I reported it to Dell Tech Support but they aren't helping, only providing a link to a generic MS website....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315249&sd=RMVP

....which hasn't helped.

The Windows Problem Reports and Solution option in the control panel shows the following additional information...

BCCode: 9f

BCP1: 0000000000000003

BCP2: FFFFFA8007C719B0

BCP3: FFFFFA8007CB29B0

BCP4: FFFFFA800C497240

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

I'm using the latest drivers available for the laptop from the Dell support site. Is there a likely or known common cause?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Davet50
6 Indium

Re: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bluescreen on Latitude E6400 Vista x64 Ultimate

Jump to solution

See if this will help. It is hard to id the offending driver(s)

This error occurs when you try to put the system in standby mode. The cause is a third-party driver that doesn't comply with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard for power management. When the system goes into standby mode, it tells all drivers that the system is changing power state. If a driver doesn't respond correctly, the system displays a blue screen. Almost any kind of driver (e.g., CD-ROM drivers, network drivers, keyboard filter drivers) can cause this problem.

The easiest way to fix it is to perform the following steps:

1. Create a hardware profile and boot into it.
  2. Go to the device manager (My Computer, Manage, Device Manager), select View, Show hidden devices, and disable all suspect devices (i.e., non-Microsoft devices) for the current hardware profile. (You disable a device on the General tab of the device's property sheet.)
  3. Reboot using the same hardware profile and try to reproduce the problem. If you can't, start re-enabling drivers and rebooting until the problem reappears. Then delete or update the offending driver.
  4. If the problem persists, disable all unnecessary drivers, update the necessary ones, and try again.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

8 Replies
Davet50
6 Indium

Jump to solution

See if this will help. It is hard to id the offending driver(s)

This error occurs when you try to put the system in standby mode. The cause is a third-party driver that doesn't comply with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard for power management. When the system goes into standby mode, it tells all drivers that the system is changing power state. If a driver doesn't respond correctly, the system displays a blue screen. Almost any kind of driver (e.g., CD-ROM drivers, network drivers, keyboard filter drivers) can cause this problem.

The easiest way to fix it is to perform the following steps:

1. Create a hardware profile and boot into it.
  2. Go to the device manager (My Computer, Manage, Device Manager), select View, Show hidden devices, and disable all suspect devices (i.e., non-Microsoft devices) for the current hardware profile. (You disable a device on the General tab of the device's property sheet.)
  3. Reboot using the same hardware profile and try to reproduce the problem. If you can't, start re-enabling drivers and rebooting until the problem reappears. Then delete or update the offending driver.
  4. If the problem persists, disable all unnecessary drivers, update the necessary ones, and try again.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

mtcsltd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for your advice Dave. I will try that. If I find the offending driver, I'll report back which one it was in case this helps others with the same problem.

Regards

Mike

0 Kudos
mtcsltd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm very grateful for your response Dave. I've now isolated the driver that was causing the problem on my laptop.

It was the driver for the Intel Wifi Link 5300AGN card. The driver version was 12.1.2.0. This driver was sent to me by Dell in November and is a recent driver. I found a newer version (12.1.2.1) on the Intel website and tried it, but it had the same problem - the laptop would not shut down and I eventually get the 9F bluescreen. I played around with the advanced driver settings and found an option 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' which was ticked. I unticked it and now the laptop shuts down fine every time. Result!

I went through the process of disabling many drivers, and enabling one, attempting a shutdown, and repeating the cycle, which isolated that driuver as the cause. One thing I've found is that Vista does not support hardware profiles any more - shame - it would have been useful, but otherwise the process was just as described.

Well, i'm very happy. I'm going to let Dell and Intel know there is a power state problem with this driver!

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

Jump to solution

That is indeed good news that you got it solved. The more i read around this the more painful this problem can be.

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
luebke5530
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same problem on shut down. A bsod that displays Driver Power State Failure. I to was using windows vista ultimate x64, and did a fresh install with windows vista ultimate x86 hoping that would fix the issue. no dice.  I continued to recieve the same bsod. it only happens at random times which makes it a little harder to track the driver. I see you have the wifi link 5300, I am using the 5100, I will try to mess around with those settings and hopefully it will fix it. if it does, your a genius, tech support was no help. Ill update if it happens to be the wifi link 5100 driver.

-Thanks Much

Steve

0 Kudos
RoninV
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I started getting this BSoD last night. I started using the 4pin firewire input on my E6400, with a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus external HD(6pin). The blue screen gave me the same driver_power_state_failure, and 0x0000009F STOP reference, that was referenced in the earlier posts. I have the same wifi adapter(5300 AGN), and an even older driver (12.0.0.82), but my card has been disabled for the last few months. Since this blue screen only start AFTER I began using the firewire port, that would appear to be the noncooperative driver/input. Anyone having this issue with their firewire port?

Mtcsltd mentioned an "advanced driver setting" change made. Though my issue seems to be focues on the firewire input, where is this "advanced driver setting" located?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mtcsltd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The advanced driver settings is a tab on the driver control in device manager that's visible for the Wi-Fi adapter. There isn't one for the firewire one. I haven't experienced your problem with firewire, but I have continued to have problems with the driverstate blue screen, though not as bad as it was. I found it very annoying that sometimes the laptop would not shutdown, and eventually get the 9F bsod. I noticed that whilst waiting for the laptop to shutdown the wi-fi, bluetooth and mobile indicators all switched off, the screen would go blank, but the hard drive light would keep flickering for the 10-15 minutes or so it would take for the 9F bsod. Sometimes I'd get fed up waiting and just press the power button for 4 seconds and then put up with the Windows menu on the next restart (saying it hadn't shut down properly.

Anyone to cut a long story short, I got fed up with this situation and started searching again. Please check out this forum topic. I've tried it, and so far it has worked for me. It appears that IRRT mode for the SATA controller is the problem. This topic describes in detail how to switch it to AHCI mode.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=349173

I can now put my laptop to sleep and shutdown - its worked every time so far though its only been a day. I'll be keeping an eye on it of course, but opefully others will find this useful.

0 Kudos
Ajin_waya
1 Copper

RE: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bluescreen on Latitude E6400 Vista x64 Ultimate

Jump to solution

My Dell Inspiron 15 with Windows 8 64 bit is having problems while starting and shutting down. The shut down function doesn't seem to work at times and I have to press the power button to shut it down or sometimes remove the battery. While turning on a black screen appears with the mouse pointer and it never goes. I would like to know about the issue. 

Thank You.

0 Kudos