Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MH

July 11th, 2009 18:00

Dangerously poor Dell support and locked out of contacting

Thursday (July 9, 2009) I had dangerously poor Dell support via on line chat.  Had I followed the initial recommendation I would have lost all my data, been obliged to re-install all applications, and not solved the problem.  After solving the problem on my own (when the on line chat crashed and the promised call back never happened), I decided to email or otherwise contact Dell to let them know of the problem and solotion so that service could be improved for future users.  I find myself barred from emailing or chatting or phoning product support because my warranty (for a computer bought a month ago with over 300 days left on the warranty) is classed as expired.  There is no record of an outstanding chat.  Even 'customer service' won't accept an email because my warranty has 'expired'.  The only option offered was to extend my 'expired' warranty at a cost.  I came here to post hoping that someone in Dell would be embarassed enough to contact me and correct both the expired warranty error and the inaccurate technical advice problem.

2.2K Posts

July 11th, 2009 20:00

Also, if you purchased it other than directly from Dell, you need to transfer ownership to yourself if you have not sone so. I bring this up because if it was purchased from a retail store (IE: Best Buy, Staples, etc...), Dell does not know the correct in service date until you do that registration / ownership transfer.

Regarding the issue you had and trying to contact Dell about it... Are you saying there is faulty hardware that you suspect all of a particular model have? If it was a software issue, that was not covered under any warranty.

July 11th, 2009 20:00

The following Link will show your warranty status you will need your service tag: I've seen in the past situations where an account has been placed on hold with the effect of an expired warranty, so I suggest that you check the status on the site to make doubly sure, and then give the cusotmer care department a call, I think yah can reach them through 1-800-822-8965 Good Luck.:emotion-11:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 12th, 2009 04:00

Also, the HARDWARE warranty and the SOFTWARE free support are two different items.  The free Software is only for a very short limited time.

July 12th, 2009 10:00

I appreciate the careful responses, and so a little more info.  I purchased directly from Dell.  Warranty status shows as more than 300 days left on the warranty.  But if I click on a link for support it says warranty expired (for a system purchased June 4) - links that worked on July 9 didn't work on July 11 ?!?!

I'll try the number - but everytime I try one of the contact numbers they ask for the system number and won't go further because the warranty is 'expired'.

By the way, for everyone's interst - the problem that caused the problem in the first place had to do with Vista activation.  It turned out to be easy to fix, but the on line help person was going to have me reinstall Vista in a way I'd lose all data and have to reinstall all programs.  She was 'sorry' if it inconvienced me.  Be careful of poorly trained help personnel.

July 12th, 2009 11:00

Wonder of wonders: When I logged in today the warranty was miraculously restored.  I'm now logging into chat to relay my concerns.  Thanks for all your help

2.2K Posts

July 12th, 2009 11:00

Interesting... I thought Dells were pre activated.

Regardless, rather than tell you to do a reinstall, Dell should have simply referred you to Microsoft for your issue.

Anyway, glad your problem is solved.

No Events found!