Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2010 10:00

Data Safe Local Backup Not Working

Data Dafe Local Backup software came with my new Studio 1458 laptop. I paid for subscription and activated the software. I have been using it for a while without issue. I had a problem with my laptop locking up which required me to retore it to a previous time. Now when I try to start Date Safe, it asks if I want to allow it to start, runs, I get a flash of the DataSafe screen and then nothing happens. An application window never opens so I am unable to run the software.

I sent and email to element 5 whcih was the company olisted on the invocie for my registration and then said

Please contact DELL c/o SoftThinks USA Inc. directly for answers to questions regarding the licensing, available upgrades, along with offering installation and technical support for the product.

You can contact the publisher directly at:

WWW: http://www.dell.com

WWW-Support: http://www.dell.com/support

I do not see how to make such a contact from the Dell web page.

All I am looking for is to be able to redownload the Data Safe Local Backup application software so that I can re-install the application. Can someone give me some direction?

JimFed

November 14th, 2010 11:00

The support link is misstated.  Try: http://support.dell.com

9 Posts

November 14th, 2010 12:00

The "misstated" link took me to the same place. That still does not solve my problem.

November 14th, 2010 15:00

Once you reach the support site, open the Drivers & Downloads link for your Service Tag #.  Select the correct OS, then open Applications.  The Data Safe update install can be found there.

9 Posts

November 14th, 2010 16:00

When I follow the instructions, the only applications listed for my laptop are Mobile Broadband Manager, Quickset, and Roxio Burn. Data Safe Local Backup is not listed.

November 14th, 2010 18:00

Have you upgaded the OS to Win7 or was it installed a factory?  The app is only supported on Win7.  Suggest you you click on 'Contact Us' in Support to address your question via email or Live Chat.  If your problem started with an IE Malware infection, you may need to restore your factory image.  Just had to do that on an Inspirion desktop and this software patch would not reinstall for me then.  Hope you have a sound image; mine was corrupted.

9 Posts

November 14th, 2010 19:00

This is a new laptop with W7 Pro. When I had the problem with the laptop freezing, I scanned for malware but none found. I used Restore and that seemed to remove the problem but it apparently left Data Safe Backup not working. Everything else seems to be working fine. All I want to do is to reinstall Data Safe.

159 Posts

November 14th, 2010 23:00

I think  laptop freezing is not related to malware for you when the Data Safe Local Backup Not Working for you. I think this problem relates to your windows. Maybe repairing windows can fix this problem.

9 Posts

November 15th, 2010 05:00

I have already resolved the problem of freezing. I now need to get my Data Safe Local Backup applicatoin to work. The only way I know how to do that is download and reinstall the application but I have been unable to find where to obtain a download of the program.

The frustration here is that this application came with my new Studio laptop. But it is not on the list of software for my computer when I go to the Dell web site and check my computer's service code. I paid $39.99 for the license to activate the backup software that came with my computer but I never received a copy of the software taht I could save and reload in the event of a problem. Obviously I should have purchased other backup software that was furnished via a disk or a download. Lesson learned. But I am trying to get the software that I purchased to work and I am not having much luck.

November 15th, 2010 16:00

If you had to pay to activate an application pre-loaded by Dell, they did not provide it, the Manufacturer is responsible.  All Dell did was offer a promotion for the Data Safe product.  If you kept your license activation s/n or code, I'd go back to Data Safe and step up the line from Customer Service to Management until I was satisfied.

November 15th, 2010 17:00

I've been in these frustrating loops before.  My best advice is "follow the money".  I'd start with Digital River and push for a refund or a valid recourse for a solution from them.  Tell them your sad story and get pushy for results.  Let them do the work.  Perhaps a suggestion that you are considering a Facebook complaint page naming them and their lack of support might light a fire.  Good luck.

9 Posts

November 15th, 2010 17:00

I have been trying for days now to contact the right people but this is an unbelieveable circle. The software did in fact come pre-installed on my Studio laptop. I paid $39.99 to Digital River element 5 for a regiatration key to activate the full features of the program. I contacted them and they told me that I must conatct the "publisher" of the program who they say is "Dell c/o SoftThinks USA Inc." and I should do that via the Dell website. I can find nothing on the Dell website about contacting SoftThinks or even anyone about Data Safe Backup.  I did a Live Chat with Dell Customer Service and they said they do not know. they gave me another phone number but when I called then they told me they only handle Linux issues. I had a Dell technician remote into my computer and he verified that Data Safe Local Backup is not working and generating errrors. He tried to find a location to download the soaftware and was unable. I have made calls, emails, and live chats, but no one seems to know anything about Data Safe Local Backup or how I would obtain another copy. Talk about frustrating.

9 Posts

November 16th, 2010 10:00

I finally solved the problem! I found a Dell web page where I could request backup disks for my new system. I was just shooting in the dark that Data Safe Local Backup would be in those disks. I then received an email from Dell telling me that the backup disks were being sent. I replied to that email with my problem and need for Data Safe Local Backup. I was told that, as I suspected, that program is not included in the backup disks. But amazingly they provided me witha web site where I could download the application. I uninstalled the app from my computer and re-installed the app and everything seems to be working fine. It even remembered my registration for the Premium edition and that I had made backup disks from the app previously. What a lot of work and frustration but in the end it all worked out.

November 16th, 2010 12:00

Congratulations on your success; persistance pays I always say.  Are the two websites you mention secrets or will you share them?  I have 2 systems which could use backup disks that were not shipped with original order.  1 of them is just 6 months old and Data Safe was on it, but my client never activated it.  Had to build the system from scratch.  Am pushing him to keep a good backup and the download site you used could be helpful in the process.  Dell didn't use to keep so many secrets!

9 Posts

November 16th, 2010 12:00

No secret, happy to share.

The Data Safe Local Backup site is http://dslbchecker.datasafelocalbackup.com/dslchecker-en.html

The site for requesting backup system disks is http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Good luck. Hope that helps.

No Events found!