Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2017 15:00

Dell Backup & Recovery missing after Windows 10 upgrade

Hello. I am having a few problems with my laptop. When i first started it up, I did a factory reset once by going into Dell Backup & Recovery (version 1.6.0.3, preloaded) located in the Troubleshoot options. it was a Windows 8.1, once the reset was complete, i decided to upgrade to Windows 10 i didn't update any drivers and applications before i upgraded to W10.

Once upgraded, i went to the dell website downloaded a couple of the latest drivers and BIOS. I installed them and updated the Dell Backup & Recovery (1.9.2.8) for Windows 8.1; I did this because in the Windows 10 tab didn't have a DB&R install, so i just went to the W8.1 tab and took that. I did not uninstall the old one that was left over from Windows 8.1.

Once that was done i went into the program and it told me to update it, which i did and then it told me to create a recovery media, i did this with a USB stick and all was fine. I went into the troubleshoot options to reset the PC, and the option for DB&R was not there. Because that option wasn't there i knew something was wrong and decided to downgrade to Windows 8.1 just to fix this issue.

So instead i booted up into the recovery USB i created with the latest DB&R and factory reset there. Then there was a error and then the laptop had shutdown. I booted it up again and continued to factory reset from USB again. This time there was no problems. Windows reinstalled all fine, with all original loaded stuff, but the DB&R option in the advanced options was still not there.

I also downloaded an older DB&R and downgraded the latest one i installed in WIN10 and encountered a error in the "Updating PE Environment" loading bar with the error "factorysetup error 2". I also cannot refresh or reset the PC through windows. I get an error saying "cannot find recovery environment". Can someone help me with this issue, i would really like to fix this. Thanks in advance.

8 Posts

November 13th, 2017 00:00

I forgot to add that it is a Dell Inspiron M731R 5735.

9.4K Posts

November 14th, 2017 04:00

Hi Ratch98,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies you are having issues with your system.

Here is some information from the Dell Knowledge Base that may be helpful.  http://dell.to/2hqVz08

One important point is: NOTE: If DBaR is not updated as recommended (prior to updating to Windows 10), the only recourse left is to revert back to previous working OS. If the OS rollback not successful, the final solution may require a fresh OS and DBAR reinstall.

8 Posts

November 14th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for replying, I have managed to fix the issue that wasn't allowing me to refresh or reset my windows ("cannot find recovery environment") error was caused due to upgrading to Windows 10, Once upgraded (And updating DB&R after upgrade) It disables the Windows RE. This effectively disables all entries of trying to refresh, reset or going into troubleshoot options.

So when trying to rollback to the old OS (Win 8.1), and the installation goes as planned, the Windows RE is still not configured properly to the Windows 8.1. So there is still no entry refresh, reset or troubleshoot options.

I first went into Folder Options and selected "Show hidden files, folders and drives", and uniticked "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files".

I fixed the issue by going into CMD (As Admin) and using "reagentc /info" to see that Windows RE was Disabled, and WindowsRE location was blank. Trying to use any commands at this time was useless because ReAgentc.exe cannot communicate with WindowsRE. Since its Disabled. Closed the window.

I opened another CMD (As Admin) window and used "diskpart" to find my WindowsRE partition (Partition 4). used the "detail partition" command, and found out that it had attributes of 0x0000000000000000 and had "required: no". I thought the WinRE partition was as important and gave it the same attribute as the PBR Image partition (Partition 6), which was 0x8000000000000001. So i did "gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001" so the partition would be protected.

I assigned a letter using "assign letter=z:" to the WindowsRE partition to mount the partition and enter it and saw the WinRE.bck file located there. I changed the file extension to .wim and then closed it.

Restarted the Laptop, opened up the CMD and used "/reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE" and it was success. But now there was a problem. The recovery image location was blank. I closed the CMD window.

I then proceeded to the C:\Windows\System32\Recovery and took the ReAgent.xml file, i right-click and Cut and pasted it to the desktop. I did this to try and allow Reagentc.exe to reset its configurations to a fresh state.

Then i opened up the CMD window again and typed "/reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE" - Success.

"reagentc /setosimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\DELL\Image /index 1" - Success.

"reagentc /enable" - Success.

Then i did "reagentc /info" and everything was all setup properly. I typed "reagentc /boottore" to boot me into WindowsRE automatically on next restart, so i can see it really works and restarted the laptop, and Dell Backup & Recovery boots up and went through the re-installation to see it works and that it creates a new refresh of Windows 8.1 without any problems. Everything works. Tested refresh and reset and now troubleshoot options appears in advanced options along with the DB&R option located in it. Now Windows 8.1 can successfully point to the WindowsRE partition as if it came out of factory condition.

I think the the main issue is that when you rollback to the old OS, make sure point the OS to the WindowsRE partition like when the laptop first came from factory. Instead the OS still points to the USB DB&R stick. If not, it would be impossible to refresh, reset or use troubleshoot options without the need for the USB.

9.4K Posts

November 15th, 2017 03:00

Thanks for posting back!  We appreciate your solution and letting others know how to resolve their issues.

Regards,
Robert

1 Message

November 16th, 2017 01:00

Thanks for replying, I have managed to fix the issue that wasn't allowing me to refresh or reset my windows ("cannot find recovery environment") error was caused due to upgrading to Windows 10, Once upgraded (And updating DB&R after upgrade) It disables the Windows RE. This effectively disables all entries of trying to refresh, reset or going into troubleshoot options.

So when trying to rollback to the old OS (Win 8.1), and the installation goes as planned, the Windows RE is still not configured properly to the Windows 8.1. So there is still no entry refresh, reset or troubleshoot options.

I first went into Folder Options and selected "Show hidden files, folders and drives", and uniticked "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files".

I fixed the issue by going into CMD (As Admin) and using "reagentc /info" to see that Windows RE was Disabled, and WindowsRE location was blank. Trying to use any commands at this time was useless because ReAgentc.exe cannot communicate with WindowsRE. Since its Disabled. Closed the window.

I opened another CMD (As Admin) window and used "diskpart" to find my WindowsRE partition (Partition 4). used the "detail partition" command, and found out that it had attributes of 0x0000000000000000 and had "required: no". I thought the WinRE partition was as important and gave it the same attribute as the PBR Image partition (Partition 6), which was 0x8000000000000001. So i did "gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001" so the partition would be protected.

I assigned a letter using "assign letter=z:" to the WindowsRE partition to mount the partition and enter it and saw the WinRE.bck file located there. I changed the file extension to .wim and then closed it.

Restarted the Laptop, opened up the CMD and used "/reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE" and it was success. But now there was a problem. The recovery image location was blank. I closed the CMD window.

I then proceeded to the C:\Windows\System32\Recovery and took the ReAgent.xml file, i right-click and Cut and pasted it to the desktop. I did this to try and allow Reagentc.exe to reset its configurations to a fresh state.

Then i opened up the CMD window again and typed "/reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE" - Success.

"reagentc /setosimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\DELL\Image /index 1" - Success.

"reagentc /enable" - Success.

Then i did "reagentc /info" and everything was all setup properly. I typed "reagentc /boottore" to boot me into WindowsRE automatically on next restart, so i can see it really works and restarted the laptop, and Dell Backup & Recovery boots up and went through the re-installation to see it works and that it creates a new refresh of Windows 8.1 without any problems. Everything works. Tested refresh and reset and now troubleshoot options appears in advanced options along with the DB&R option located in it. Now Windows 8.1 can successfully point to the WindowsRE partition as if it came out of factory condition.

I think the the main issue is that when you rollback to the old OS, make sure point the OS to the WindowsRE partition like when the laptop first came from factory. Instead the OS still points to the USB DB&R stick. If not, it would be impossible to refresh, reset or use troubleshoot options without the need for the USB.

Dell Backup & Recovery went missing on my computer as well after I complete the Win 10 upgrade. However I got it fixed now. Thank you so much @Ratch98 for the solution. Really appreciate it :) 

8 Posts

November 17th, 2017 04:00

@DELL-Robert P I am glad i could provide others some idea of how to solve this issue. I still have to test and see if all goes well for the Windows 10 upgrade. So far i have updated to the BIOS and Drivers, and DB&R is able to detect the Windows Recovery Environment, and it successfully updates to version 1.9. Now i just have to upgrade to Windows 10 and see if DB&R 1.9 will update on it. I will update this topic to see if all goes well.

@naania1432 I appreciate the feedback. :)

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 02:00

Just updated to Windows 10 and it was a success. The Backup and Recovery 1.9 that i updated during Win 8.1, also detects and updates the Recovery Environment on Win 10. Everything is working as usual now.

1 Message

October 6th, 2019 15:00

You can follow given below method

Method 1. Download Dell Backup and Recovery Alternative Tool for Help on Windows 10

Step 1. Install and launch EaseUS Todo Backup Free and then click File Backup.

Choose the files that you want to backup on your Windows 10 PC.

Step 2. Select a destination to save Windows 10 backups and click Proceed.

You can also backup Windows 10 files or system to an external storage device.

Method 2. Repair and fix ‘Dell Backup and Recovery Not Working’ Error

• Update Dell Backup and Recovery to the latest version on your Windows 10 PC.
  • Update Windows Device drivers: Right-click on Start and select Device Manager > Expand Disk drivers and right-click on your disk and choose Update Driver Software...
  • Connect the Dell support team for updating guide or tech support.

Regards
    @Amania

2 Posts

December 29th, 2019 05:00

Thanks for Sharing it would really helpful

3 Posts

February 18th, 2020 21:00

Fix with Command Prompt

To fix "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" error in your Windows 10 computer, you have to correct the MBR or BCD file. The first thing you need is a Windows 10 installation DVD or USB flash drive.

Step 1: Insert the Windows 10 installation DVD or USB flash drive into your computer.

Step 2: Boot into Windows 10 system recovery options, select “Troubleshoot”> “Advanced options”>“Command Prompt”.

Step 3: Then use command prompt to fix a required drive partition is missing in Windows 10 issue. Then enter the following command in turn.

• BOOTREC /SCANOS

• BOOTREC /FIXMBR

• BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

• BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

Wait for a moment, you’ll find the problem a required drive partition is missing in Windows 10 has been repaired. Apart from rebuilding MBR, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard allows you to extend C drive without data loss, clone Windows 10 hard drive and so on. If you want to enjoy more advanced features, like converting system disk between MBR and GPT without deleting partition, upgrade to Professional version.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 20th, 2020 06:00

As of 2010, Dell no longer ships the OS (operating system) CD or USB keys on most consumer computers. Dell has created alternatives for the customers to access OS Media and Applications.

Dell backup and recovery was end of life in 2016

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln302836/dell-backup-and-recovery-dbar-transitions-to-softthinks-backup-and-recovery-sbar?lang=en

* Dell OS Recovery Tool
* How to Download and Use the Dell OS Recovery Image in Microsoft Windows
* Factory reset, restore, or reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell computer
* Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer
* DataSafe Local/ DBAR (Factory Restore)
* Dell Recovery and Restore KeyInCloud
How to create and use the Dell Recovery and Restore USB drive (KeyInCloud)

Note - Dell Recovery and Restore will only work with an existing image on the HDD (hard disk drive). So it would not work with a blank replacement HDD or a format/clean operating system installed HDD.
Note - Download a recovery image of the OS customized for your Dell product. Dell customization of the Windows image includes:
- Updated patches that address common issues for Dell systems.
- Dell support information. The image provided in this download was configured to be bootable from either a DVD or USB. The recovery image contains the version of Windows that came installed on the computer as it shipped from Dell. If you have upgraded your operating system, you will need to reinstall the upgrade after you have restored your system to the factory settings.

* Dell is unable to supply OS CD's once the computer goes "marketing" EOL (end of life). You must purchase the OS CD from a 3rd party vendor
* Software shipped with the system

My Dell Downloads
Dell Digital Delivery

1 Message

August 7th, 2020 04:00

You can do it by following these methods:

1: Repair and fix Dell Backup and Recovery Not Working Error. Update Dell Backup and Recovery to the latest version on your Windows 10 PC. Then Update Windows Device drivers: Right-click on Start and select Device Manager > Expand Disk drivers and right-click on your disk and choose Update Driver Software. And at the end Connect the Dell support team for updating guide or tech support.

2: Download Dell Backup and Recovery Alternative Tool for Help on Windows 10. First Install and launch EaseUS Todo Backup Free and then click File Backup. Then Choose the files that you want to backup on your Windows 10 PC. Second Select a destination to save Windows 10 backups and click Proceed. You can also backup Windows 10 files or system to an external storage device.

Warm Regards

September 12th, 2020 10:00

Update Windows Device drivers: Right-click on computer and select Device Manager, expand Disk drivers and right-click on your disk, and choose Update Driver Software... . If you still cannot solve the Dell Backup and Recovery not working issue in Windows 10/8/7, you can contact the Dell support team for tech support

2 Posts

September 19th, 2023 09:05

Watch free anime with English subtitles

Animension.ch is a popular anime streaming website that offers a vast library of anime content for fans worldwide. It is essential because it allows fans to watch their favourite anime shows and movies online for free.

1 Message

November 7th, 2023 14:18

There are several ways to back up your PC.

1. Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
  2. Do one of the following:If you've never used Windows Backup before, or recently upgraded your version of Windows, select Set up backup, and then follow the steps in the wizard.If you've created a backup before, you can wait for your regularly scheduled backup to occur, or you can manually create a new backup by selecting Back up now.If you’ve created a backup before, but want to make a new, full backup rather than updating the old one, select Create new, full backup, and then follow the steps in the wizard.

Note: Do not back up files to the same hard disk that Windows is installed on. For example, do not back up files to a recovery partition. Always store media used for backups (external hard disks, DVDs, or CDs) in a secure place to prevent unauthorized people from having access to your files; a fireproof location separate from your computer is recommended. You might also consider encrypting the data on your backup.

Create a system image

System images contain all of the info on your PC at a particular state.

1. Right-click the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
  2. In the left pane, choose Create a system image, and then follow the steps in the wizard. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note: To create a system image of a drive, it must be formatted to use the NTFS file system. If you save the system image on a hard drive or USB flash drive, it must be formatted to use the NTFS file system.

Regards : @Sambad

No Events found!