Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2007 19:00

Dell DJ install and compatible drivers for Windows Vista

Hello there...can anyone send me the link for the install and drivers for my DELL DJ...apparently the disc I got when I bought it are not compatible with Windows Vista..aarrgghhh!  Thanks for your help in advance..ps...just got Windows Vista and it is making me mental

15 Posts

June 17th, 2011 13:00

I see your request is 4 years old :-( I got my DJ in 2004 and since I've had vista in 2006, my DJ is useless. I can delete music but can't load.  Guess its now a pretty paperweight.  Thanks to the idiots at Dell for creating and selling an item that they refuse to support

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 17th, 2011 14:00

A 2004 device is "old technology" and I'm surprised it even still works.   That, in itself, says it is (was) a good product.

(I am a user, not a Dell employee).

2.2K Posts

June 17th, 2011 15:00

The answer has been out there for years, so I am guessing you did not look too hard....

You had asked about using your Pocket DJ with Vista. Here are two options....

1.) You can upgrade the firmware here using the link below. Note that doing so will erase everything on your DJ. Also, it requires access to a Windows XP machine to complete the process, as the firmware upgrade must be done on an XP machine - it literally takes just a few minutes and does not require anything to be installed on the XP machine, so if you don't have one, find a friend or relative.

Pocket DJ Firmware

OR-----

2.) Install Rhapsody software. It is free using the link below. You do not need to subscribe to Rhapsody or buy music from them. Just use the software. For some reason, it allows the DJ to be seen on Vista machines.

To do so, install the Rhapsody software. Open Rhapsody. Plug in your DJ. Allow windows to install the player. You should now be able to transfer music to and from your player using Rhapsody. Once you restart your computer, Windows Media Player will see the DJ and you will have an easy solution for transferring music to and from your player.

Rhapsody Software Information

Let us know what works....

2 Posts

July 5th, 2011 23:00

Hi hrova:

Ok I did what you said; I installed Rhapsody, opened it, plugged in my DJ, and nothing. I don't even see a way in Rhapsody to recognize my device or see what's on it - I tried to "Add a device" and got an HTTP440 or whatever when I clicked the "Add a device" link in Rhapsody. Windows Media Player won't recognize it either.

It used to be that when I clicked "Computer" in Windows Explorer, I'd see a crude digital image of something that looked like a calculator which would tell me my computer recognizes my Dell DJ, and I could drag and drop tracks to it. Now, the "Computer" window takes like 5 minutes to refresh itself and I hope that it'll recognize my player and show me that lovely icon, and it doesn't. Even if my player is on and says "Docked" on the screen, I can't see my device anywhere on my computer. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

2.2K Posts

Hi,

Sorry the Rhapsody idea did not work. They could have updaed tehir software and made changes.

Have you tried updating the firmware? It is less convenient, but it may allow you to use Windows Media Player to drag and drop files. That could no longer work as well - but it wouldn't hurt to try.

2 Posts

Hi again -

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have to admit, as tech savvy as I can be, I have no idea how firmware works... I think you  mean updating the software on the device itself via an XP machine. I actually don't have an XP machine anymore, both of our computers are Vista. Not only that, but I don't want to erase all the songs on my DJ. I'm sad about this, it barely worked up until now... I always knew this day would come. :(

Any other ideas would be awesome.

Thanks

No Events found!