Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 07:00

Dell Diagnostics

Hi

I have had to reformat my hard drive , as I dont have the original dell discs I wanted to put the dell diagnostic programe on it , I have downloaded the diagnostics programe from dell site but I am having some problem runing it .

It says download to your hard drive then run the self extracting file , but when i do that there is no exe file to run it with ! .

any help on this .

cheers

spike

387 Posts

May 27th, 2009 07:00

Hi Spike,

Which OS are you trying to use the Diagnostics with? I ask because I see that you've posted the same question here and in the Microsoft OS forum. There are usually two Diagnostics downloads. The one for Windows is a self-extracting executable (.exe) and the the one for Linux is a Bin file. Also, for which system are you trying to download the Diagnostics?

Edit: I meant to post this one as a reply to your post in the Microsoft OS forum so I've changed Linux to Microsoft OS in this post. :emotion-1:

139 Posts

May 27th, 2009 08:00

Hi

It is Wndows XPsp2 , I downloaded the self extracting file for windows to a temp file, but all it does is extract the files into the folder , How do i actualy run the programe , there is no exe files to double click on to run it . I have also put them on a cd to see if it boots from it but no luck there .

cheers

spike

387 Posts

May 27th, 2009 09:00

Spike,

Is this for the Latitude C640 or a different system? I think the Diagnostics files differ between systems but I want to make sure before I suggest something. I downloaded the files for my system and right after it finished extracting I was given a window with options to do different things like Create a bootable CD and Update existing diagnostic partition.

139 Posts

May 27th, 2009 10:00

Hi

Its for a C610 ,  Could it be that the original Diagnostic partition is not there now ! , it is now formated to  NTFS , does the Dell Diagnostic partition run with the FAT file system or am I getting ahead of myself .

I did delete the original partition that XP was on to put a fresh copy on .

cheers

spike

2.2K Posts

May 27th, 2009 12:00

The DOS-based Dell Diagnostics is factory installed on it's own small partition at the beginning of the hard disk. If that partition or it's content is deleted or the original hard disk is replaced, it's usually easiest to run Dell Diagnostics from a boot floppy or CD, but you can re-create the Dell Diagnostics partition or a multi-purpose DOS partition using information provided by Dan Goodell.

http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/index.htm

GM

1 Message

May 27th, 2009 12:00

can i ask a question please. how do i get the dell deagnostics to do the full scan. once i push the f12 it starts scanning no options to do a full scan. can you help me.

139 Posts

May 28th, 2009 03:00

HI

Thanks for your reply

I am not sure that you can re-create the dell partition when a disc has been formated to NTFS , you can not go back to a FAT file system , well that is what I understant at present , the floppy and the cd version are what I believe FAT file systems.

I may be wrong ! .

cheers

spike

387 Posts

June 8th, 2009 12:00

(Note to others who may be reading this: The instructions given in this post apply to the Latitude C610 using Windows and may not apply to your system.)

Spike,

The download that it appears that you want to get is the one that says 32-bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version) and is dated 10/10/03. The file itself is CZ122100.exe. Check to see if that is what you downloaded.

If that is the file that you downloaded, follow the Custom Instructions for CZ122100.EXE on that same link and let us know if that works.

No Events found!