Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2011 17:00

Dell Dimension 4500S Video Controller Driver Problem

I am trying to revive an old Dell Dimension 4500S that required a full OS reinstall due to an aggressive virus. I do not have any original driver or installation CDs. After giving it a new hard drive and installing Windows XP SP2, the computer only starts up with the display set at the lowest 4 bit color setting with no options available to change it. Device manager shows yellow question marks on the video and audio controllers.

After installing video controller drivers downloaded from the dell support website, the computer can't get past the Windows loading splash screen upon re-start. After the Windows load screen, various flickering, pixelated squares and pin lines appear at random all over a black screen. If the computer is started up in safe mode I can restore the computer to before I installed the drivers and it's back to square one. The video card is built into the MOBO. Is the video card just dead/damaged or is there a different set of drivers I should try installing? Thank you for any Ideas.

No Responses!
No Events found!