Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2009 08:00

Dell Factory Image Restore on a Studio 1555

Hello Everybody.

3weeks ago I received my new Studio 1555. Installed lots of Hard- and Software most from an WinXP and Win 2000 Environment. Now - after I have evaluatet what Soft-/Hardware to use with my New Laptop I tried to set everything back to factory values.

Try to Run PCRestore.exe and receive a blang "error" after 34-40% of formating drive.

Dell doesn´t provide any support. Microsoft neither.

Anybody here to give me a hint how I can reset to factory settings?

Thanks!

6 Posts

July 20th, 2009 09:00

I had a problem last night not being able to use PCRestore on my XPS 16 Vista laptop.  I was able to work around this using a version of the included ImageX tool on the D partition to manually overwrite the C partition with the D drive (Recover Partition)'s factory restore *.WIM file.  I don't recall offhand what the subdirectory was on the D partition, but I had to boot using the reinstallation CD and got to the command prompt and accessed the recovery partition WIM file that way.  Here is a description of how to do this if you don't have the F8/F11 or recovery disks.

FWIW, I actually used GImageX, a GUI-based freeware version of ImageX.  That can be found here.  I just copied it over to my recovery partition and ran that instead of the command prompt ImageX version.

5 Posts

July 20th, 2009 11:00

thank you for your help. everything worked fine. at least it looked as if it would.

after typing: // imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\ //

the process startet and took about 30mins, but once i tried to reboot the system on C: it shows

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Proadcom PXE Rom

Operating system not found

hm I try again tonight. But: Any Idea what I´ve might done wrong?

regards

6 Posts

July 20th, 2009 13:00

Hm, can you try changing the BIOS setting back to default?  If that doesn't work, change the Boot Order bios settings, moving the network/PXE boot sequence down so that either CD/DVD is first followed by Hard drive, save settings and reboot.  You should also be able to manually choose the initial boot item by pressing F12 at the boot splash screen for the laptop.

However, it's *possible* (though offhand I'd say not likely since the drive was working okay before) the hard drive is damaged or else the partition table has a problem.  If it is a partition table error, you might be able to fix this by booting up the restore CD and choosing one of the repair/startup repair options.  This shouldn't affect the installation per se, just the physical drive partition table.

1 Message

July 19th, 2011 08:00

I have had the same thing happen to mine, the first time my hard drive was fried and unusable, the second it was just not plugged in all the way within my laptop. Make sure the connections are all correct before assuming it is broken

No Events found!