Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2012 19:00

Dell Factory Restore HELP PLEASE!

Hi, recently my Dell Studio 1749 running Windows 7 ran into a problem with the hard drive. My files were already backed up, so I didn't have to worry about losing any important files. The only way I could solve my problem was to reinstall Windows. I had the installation CD that came with my computer so I used that. While running the CD I formatted my harddrive. Then I installed Windows. After a successful reinstallation I found that I couldn't connect to a wireless network, Aero didn't work, my resolution was lower than normal, and other problems. I do have the Dell Resource CD that came with my computer. Is there any way to restore my computer to factory settings? I tried going to System Recovery Options by pressing F8 on startup  but there is no option for Factory Restore listed. Also, I do have a recovery partition that came with my computer, but I can't access it in My Computer. It was listed in the locations to install Windows 7 though.

6.4K Posts

March 19th, 2012 16:00

Use the link I gave you to the Dell Support page.  On that page you will find a link to Drivers and Downloads.  Click on the method you prefer to use to access the drivers for your computer and you should be taken to a menu containing the drivers needed by your computer.  You may be presented with a window offering either to download using your web browser or by using the Dell downloads manager.  Please use the download via your web browser option; you must download only one driver at a time using that method, but it is by far the easier of the two methods.

It is unusual that the Resource CD is missing the driver for the graphics adapter and the network interface adapter, but I guess it can happen.  You should find both of those drivers on the Dell Support page for your computer.

6.4K Posts

March 19th, 2012 18:00

That might be a bit difficult; you have some devices that are found on all computers of that type, but you may have a couple that are unique to your particular computer.  The order of installation is as follows:

1.  Dell System Software, found in the System Utilities category; this is an adjustment to the operating system for certain Dell USB devices.  All 1749s should have this installed.

2.  Intel Chipset Driver; this is required on all 1749s.  Note that there are two files in the Chipset category, but the Intel file needs to be the first installed.

3.  Video/Graphics Adapter Driver; this is the first ambiguity.  There are two drivers for video and only one is required for your 1749, depending on whether you are using the Intel on-board graphics adapter or the AMD/ATI video card.

4.  Network Interface Adapter driver; there are about a half dozen files for this particular item and only you can determine which you need.

5.  Sound Adapter Driver; there is only one, by IDT.

The list I've given is not all inclusive.  You may have other devices that require drivers I do not know about.

The Dell Resource CD has an application to help you determine which specific driver you require.  Once you insert the Resource CD into the drive you should get a pop-up asking if you want to install the application.  Indicating "yes" allows the application to install and brings up a menu allowing you to select the model of the computer for which you want the drivers.  Once you have done that and clicked on the Drivers menu at the top of the screen you are presented with a list of files, some of them having check-marks to the left of the file name.  The checked files are those you need to install in the required order.  They are not automatically installed; you must click, or double click, the file name and indicate you wish to open the file.  Once the file has opened you need to allow the autoextractor to create the necessary folder on your hard drive and extract the files into that folder.  Once you close the autoextractor an installation wizard should appear and ask if you want to install the file.  Indicated that you do installs the file.  Once installation has completed you need to restart the computer and begin the process again with the next driver file in the list.

If the Resource CD is not working as described, you can click on System Configuration in the menu on the left on the Dell Support page given in my first post.  On that page you should be able to determine what you ordered with the computer or click on Current Configuration to have Dell search your computer for the devices for which you need drivers.

March 17th, 2012 19:00

(ignore this)

6.4K Posts

March 18th, 2012 15:00

Once you have reformatted the hard drive you no longer have access to the Dell image, and if you completely deleted all existing partitions at the time you reinstalled, the Dell image is also gone.

A Dell guide to restoring your computer can be found here:  Restoring or Reinstalling Windows on a Dell.  You can also find the most recently released drivers for your computer by accessing support.dell.com and using the links you find there to reach the Drivers and Downloads page for your computer.

March 19th, 2012 15:00

I have the resource CD, but many needed drivers are not on it. Such as my network adapter driver (I can't access any wireless networks) and the Dell webcam software. Also my screen resolution has a maximum of 1024 x 768 when it should be much higher.

March 19th, 2012 17:00

Thanks, but could you tell me the names of the specific drivers I need?

March 19th, 2012 19:00

Wow thank you so much! I will try that tomorrow. One question: where is the driver for the Dell Webcam Software?

6.4K Posts

March 19th, 2012 21:00

The webcam driver is usually part of an application, so you do not normally find a driver for the webcam on the Drivers and Downloads page.  You might find it as part of My Dell Downloads, but I cannot see into that as you must have an account on that page tied to your computer.

March 21st, 2012 12:00

Ahh thank you so much! My computer is finally back to normal! You were a huge help!

6.4K Posts

March 21st, 2012 23:00

Very good!  I'm happy to learn everything is working again, and was happy to help.

Best of luck to you!

No Events found!