Highlighted
oliverash
Bronze

Dell Inspiron 531 - Formatted Hard Drive, Windows Install Problems

I am having trouble with my Dell Inspiron 531. The machine is over a year old, and I have installed Windows Vista and Windows 7 on it many times over.

Using a recent Windows 7 build, I loaded the Windows install from boot. I run through the procedure as I normally would to install Windows, but I was confronted with an error. The install would get to "Expanding files", but never complete. I tried again and again - sometimes it stuck at 85%, sometimes a little more or less. Then I am confronted with the error "0x800x0017" - a Google search suggests problems with the disc, but I am sure that the discs I am using here are well burnt.

I got frustrated, so I ended up deleting the partitions on my hard drive and formatting my hard drive using this Windows 7 disc.

I then inserted the Windows Vista disc which came with my Dell. This gets to the "Expanding files" stage, but sticks at 0% for a minute or so and then I am confronted with the same error message.

I researched some more, and discovered that the problem may be related to my hard drive. I believe that I am receiving this error because the install cannot read or write to my hard drive - this is just my theory. Some people suggested to download the SATA drivers for the hard drive onto a flash drive, and load them at install. I have tried this, but the error persists.

I am really frustrated as I cannot use this machine until I get assistance with this problem. As I say, I formatted my hard drive, so there is no operating system installed on the machine right now.

Any help would be really appreciated so that I can get my computer up and running again soon!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
laz123
Silver

Re: Dell Inspiron 531 - Formatted Hard Drive, Windows Install Problems

Maybe the hd has gone.

0 Kudos
oliverash
Bronze

When I run the install, the hard drive can still be seen, as it shows me the capacity of the partition on the hard drive after formatting. I believe the hard drive is still working fine.

0 Kudos
mombodog
Diamond

Download and make a boot and nuke CD/DVD or flash drive, boot from it and let the utility wipe the drive for a few minutes, then cancel the process, now try to install your OS

http://www.dban.org/download.

0 Kudos
oliverash
Bronze

Thanks for your reply mombodog.

I downloaded boot and nuke and installed it onto a flash drive. I then booted from this flash drive, and I got a message saying "Could not find kernel image: linux". What should I do?

0 Kudos
mombodog
Diamond

Try a boot CD/DVD instead.

0 Kudos
oliverash
Bronze

I just tried this. It got through to a screen where I was prompted to select which media to wipe, but then froze. I tried again, and it stuck at "searching for floopy drive".

Thanks for your help so far!

0 Kudos
mombodog
Diamond

If you have a floppy drive, disable it in the bios, see if the utiltiy wil run now.

0 Kudos
oliverash
Bronze

The autonuke utility is now running thanks to your advice about the floppy drive. At what point do I cancel the utility, and how? Or should I just let the utility complete?
0 Kudos
oliverash
Bronze

Ran DBAN on autonuke, complete after 5 hours. Removed DBAN media and powered off. Started up the computer and I was then confronted with "no boot device". Inserted Vista install disc which came with my Dell and booted from this, and STILL getting the same error. Sticks at 0% of expanding files, and then I get the error "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017"

This is really bugging me, I need my computer back now! Smiley Sad

Thanks for your help so far!

0 Kudos