seopower
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 6400 ... will it support Toshiba 500gb HDD?

I have 2006 made Dell Inspiron 6400 (Admin note: Service tag remove for privacy reasons.). Recently my 80 gb Hitachi HDD got broken (head gone).

Now my question it support Toshiba 2.5 in 500 gb hard disk?

I am asking this because I purchased this hdd and from last 2 days trying to install Windows 7 but it fails at different stages on every try, also installation is super slow. I had Windows 7 on my old 80 gb Hitachi as well which did not case any problem in installation.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
N7U
3 Zinc

RE: Dell Inspiron 6400 ... will it support Toshiba 500gb HDD?

Hi Seopower,

I'm not a moderator in this forum but PLEASE for your own safety and security NEVER post your service tag in a public forum. It will be edited out by a moderator soon but in the meantime it's up there for everyone to see. I've made a note of it and will pass it onto Dell. 

The answer to your question is simply "yes."  To make the short story long. the 2.5" drives come in a few thicknesses Yours I believe will accept both the 7 and the 9.5mm thick drives...which is what you'll probably get anyway when ordering or purchasing. The other 2 thicknesses are somewhat more expensive and less common at least currently. 2.5" 5V 7-9,5mm drive that has a platter rpm speed of 5400 or 7200 will do just fine! Good Luck. If this answer was helpful please click the YES button. If you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact.

Dell™ Community Forum since 2013

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

It would but I would suggest a SSD instead which have recently went down in price:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/upgrade/Dell-memory/Inspiron+Laptops%2fNotebooks/Inspiron+6400-upgrades.ht...

The 120 GB M4 is a good buy for example and the system performance is far superior.

The 500 GB HDD may be an advanced format hard drive which would explain the difficulties regarding Windows 7 installation. Dell have not updated the SATA drivers for this model so likely Dells drivers don't accommodate the Advanced Format Drive. You will need to download Intel Matrix Storage Manager from Intel.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Does your Windows 7 media include Service Pack 1?

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218571en?language=en_US

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos