Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2010 08:00

Dell Inspiron 9400 - Formatted Partions - Clean Install

Hi All

I have recently decided to make better use of the hardrive space on my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400) I completely formatted the hardrive removing all partitions and installed a new copy of Windows 7. The install went smoothly and evrything seemed to be ok, but after the first restart once the operating system was installed the laptop will not boot windows instead it get stuck on the dell intitial boot logo screen and continues to restart it self.

I have tried nemerous times to re-install windows and even tried to run a windows boot repair from the cd menu all of which fail to resolve this issue. 

Im not sure if there is part of the hardrive I cannot access as it is supposed to be 120g but only 111g show when using acronis or other partitioning software.

Does anyone have a solution to this propblem, before I decided to do this the laptop was working fine.

37 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 13:00

Hello kirkr,

To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Thanks again,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Support

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 09:00

I ran Windows 7 compatibility check and everything was fine, other than some old software which I can easily update, there was no driver issues or anything thats to worry about. 

I was running Vista 32bit prior to the instalation.

• 

16.7K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 09:00

kirkr,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Did you run the Dell Win7 Upgrade Assistant  disk or Microsoft Upgrade Advisor  prior to installing Win7? If so, did it say your system could handle the upgrade? If not, you may need to install the previous version of Windows back onto the computer.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 19:00

I have a E1705 which to my understanding is the same computer. Which was ready for 7 no problem which I'm assuming yours was too.At this point I would just consider buying a new hard drive as the loop generally means a failed drive because their is nothing to boot to. You can try running diagnostics to see if you get a ATA error or not also. You do this by (1) Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up (2) Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. I would highly recommend upgrading to a Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue HD it costs 83.99 + shipping & tax and is a way better performer than the stock ones that come with the system and take Windows 7 with ease. I know because I bought this for my Dell and it is way faster and have never had problems.

Here is a link to the the hard drive I am speaking of  http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2387325&mfgpid=167671&chassisid=8448

Hope this helps.

Regards, Trebills

No Events found!