Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2009 11:00

Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop...getting "PBR 2...done" message

Hello.  I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop running on Windows XP.  I was attempting to use Norton Ghost to restore my laptop to its original factory settings, without saving any data that I had on the computer.  I followed instructions I found at Microsoft.com to use Ghost to do this, and got the process going.  It looked like it was going to take awhile, so I stepped away from the computer to go do something else.  When I came back into the room a few mins later, Ghost had stopped, and a message popped up saying something to the effect of "restore cannot be completed".  So I clicked off the message to make it go away and exited Ghost and my computer attempted to restart.  It gets past the Dell splash screen, but then, instead of loading Windows, it just says "PBR 2...done.  A disk read error occured.  Press ctrl+alt+del to restart".  Of course, pressing that does nothing, it just does the same thing over again.  I went back into Ghost and tried the PC Restore again, but now it is saying "Ghost could not locate any system restore points".  I am totally lost now.  How do I get this computer working again?  I have no desire to save any data that was on it before.  I am simply trying to wipe it clean and start from scratch because I am actually planning to give the laptop to my brother.  Can someone please help!!!!

1.1K Posts

November 15th, 2009 14:00

carolinagurlie

Don’t know why you just didn’t use the Dell PC Restore utility, if not working then do an XP Clean Install

Assuming you still don’t want to save personal data the skip step 1 in the following procedure, click here

No Events found!