Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2010 06:00

Dell Latitude D410 Windows XP won´t boot

Hello! I have a 4 yr old latitude d410 laptop. Today when I switched it on it would not boot up to Windows. Instead I get this message below. It also did a physical file dump.  Does anyone know what I should do next? I have looked at the manually reinstall XP instructions but not sure if this is the way to go. i did back up my documents and settings to my backup external file a week ago so my docs are in a safe place in case they are lost. Any suggestions?

STOP: c0000218 (Registry File Failure)

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

\SystemRoot\System32\config\SECURITY

or its log or alternate

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 18th, 2010 08:00

CALCUAZ,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You could try a Repair install by booting the Windows Disk and choosing the Repair Option. If this fails you will need to format and reinstall Windows.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 18th, 2010 11:00

Before you do the Repair as Jesse suggested, reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Select "last known good" from the list. If you're lucky...

If not, before you run the Repair, boot from the XP CD and press R at first screen to open the Recovery Console. At the C: prompt:

Type in: chkdsk c: /r

Press Enter

Go take a nice long nap while chkdsk checks your hard drive. When it's done, remove the XP CD and see if it will boot from the hard drive now.

If not, reboot from the XP CD and run the Repair/Reinstall. You will have to reinstall all XP updates and hotfixes again but personal files should be ok.

I don't know if Lattitude systems have PC Restore on the hard drive, but if they have it, and all else fails, you can run PC Restore to reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it. Everything on the drive will be lost, so I hope your stuff is all backed up. When PC Restore is done, you'll have to reinstall the XP Service Packs, updates and fixes,  and your software, but that's a lot faster  than reformatting the hard drive and doing a clean installation.

Ron

3 Posts

August 19th, 2010 06:00

Thanks Jesse- will do!

3 Posts

August 19th, 2010 06:00

Hi Ron-Thanks for the advice. Will try it today. Cheers

No Events found!