Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2016 06:00

Dell Latitude e6440 Administrator Password

Hello,

I have a dell latitude e6440 and at one time I got an offer to upgrade to windows 10 of which I did. After that I noticed a lot of applications are not working saying the OS has blocked them. Trying to revert to windows 7 is now a problem as the laptop is requiring an administrator password which I do not remember putting it in. 

Please help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 26th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

When you say administrator password is it the BIOS Password or the windows Operating system password.

If it is the BIOS password kindly call Tech support or post your query on twitter @Dellcarespro .

If you are talking about the windows password check if you have set up a question ,else clean installation of the operating system should help.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

• 

16.7K Posts

September 26th, 2016 07:00

Manduwa,

If is has been over 30 days since you have had Windows 10 installed you will need to manually reinstall Windows 7 as well as the Windows 7 drivers. Dell does not add or have any Administrator passwords for the computer. Below are links to assist you with get with reinstalling Windows 7. If it is a bios pw you will need to call Dell Support for resetting. If it isnt the bios password you will need to remember the password or reinstall Windows 

Also,when you downloaded and installed Windows 10 you would also have needed to install Windows 10 drivers.If you would like to keep Windows 10 on your computer then, link below provides the drivers for your computer. Once on the site choose the Windows 10 version, 32 or 64 bit, you have installed to download the drivers. There is also a link for driver install order.

Latitude E6440 Drivers, Downloads and Manual

Drivers Help,Tutorials and Install Order

When installing the drivers your computer may not require certain ones.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer

If you are reinstalling Windows 7 with a CD/DVD or a  USB Keyyou will need to change the bios setting. Below is information on doing so.

Latitude E6440 UEFI BIOS
The Latitude E6440 is installed with UEFI BIOS. 

There is no difference in between the conventional BIOS and the UEFI BIOS unless the UEFI option is checked in the 'Boot Sequence' setting in the BIOS page. This will allow the user to create a UEFI boot option list manually without affecting the existing boot priority list. With the implementation of UEFI BIOS, the changes are more related to the manufacturing tools and functionalities with very minimal impact to the customers' usages.

Few things to remember are:
If customers has a UEFI boot media and ONLY if they have UEFI boot media (either in the optical media or via USB storage), the one time boot menu will show an additional section listing the UEFI boot options. If they don't have UEFI boot media attached, they will never see this option. Almost all will never get to see this option unless the UEFI boot option is specified manually through the 'Boot Sequence' settings.

Entering BIOS/System Setup
To enter the BIOS/System Setup:

Turn on (or restart) the Dell notebook.
While the notebook is booting (when the Dell logo appears), press immediately to access the BIOS/System Setup utility.
Customer Experience Tip contains important information to assist you in providing our customers with the best experience.

TIP:
Keyboard failure may occur when a key on the keyboard is held down for extended periods of time. To avoid possible keyboard failure, press and release in even intervals until the BIOS/System Setup screen appears.

2 Posts

September 26th, 2016 10:00

When I switch my laptop on, it gives me two accounts, one personal and the other in administrator. When I try to log in the administrator it requests a password which I do not know

• 

16.7K Posts

September 26th, 2016 11:00

Manduwa,

You can try the steps below to see if they will work for you.

To reset password on Windows 7 from safe mode, restart PC. Press F8 to enter Windows Boot Menu and then choose
Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
Then enter the following:
net user root /ADD

Then enter the following:
net localgroup administrators root /ADD

Then finally, enter the following:
net localgroup users root /DELETE

If the above can't help you, but you have other administrative accounts, they will be helpful. Or, you may have to refer to pro tool like Ophcrack or other Windows Password Recovery Tool.

1 Message

June 17th, 2021 20:00

I'm brand new and I don't know exactly what I post this but this is what I found so I'm putting a reply. So please excuse if this is wrong I have just made a video because I cannot find the correct situation is mine. My keyboard was having problems with a couple of keys not working specifically I know of the r and the b was not working beforehand it was working I reformatted and then like I'm in the middle of typing and all of a sudden it's not working. 

I did a clean reset, which I was about to do anyways. I did the clean reset, everything was fine. I went into the bios I put in a new admin and system password in the bios. Again everything was great. There were a couple of reboots I've done again everything was fine. 

Then just like before the reset. All of a sudden the couple of keys on the keyboard stop working. So I wish I would have never done this but I rebooted when I did I can't get anywhere because I can't get past the admin to the bios. I have done what I have taken the Bluetooth mouse out eyes and taking everything off I went to unscrew the back of the laptop and then I got scared because I know I don't have a static wristband. 

Again I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. But it's not the whole keyboard that's not working it's only certain keys. And I did just make a video just in case that was needed to better understand what I'm having the problem with.

Thank you

No Events found!