Highlighted
Tribox
1 Copper

Dell OEM Certificate missing from PC

I recently upgraded my Dell system to Windows 8 and I just realized the DELL OEM Certificate on the system is gone.

How do I reinstall the Dell OEM Certificate? Someone please help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Dell OEM Certificate missing from PC

Hi Tribox,

In order to assist you in a better way, please provide me the following details:

• Did you perform a clean installation of Windows 8 (format hard drive and then install) or upgrade Windows 8?
  • From where did you purchase the Windows 8 upgrade?
  • Did you get any prompt for activation of Windows 8?

OEM certificates cannot be re-installed. Operating system installed on Dell computers is an OEM version and does not require any activation. OEM version of Operating system will not require any product key and is pre-activated by Microsoft for Dell customers. 

Please reply for further clarification. 

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go here

0 Kudos
Tribox
1 Copper

Thanks DELL-Chinmay.

I purchased windows 8 through the windows 8 upgrade assistant.

And I just did an upgrade of my windows 7, keeping my settings and documents. I only got a prompt to activate media center.

Everything worked perfectly till I ran into trouble with some windows 8 apps. I then visited one of the forums that suggested refreshing. Thinking that it was only the apps that came with windows 8 that will be removed, I went straight ahead and refreshed the system loosing all installed software and drivers in the process. I reinstalled most of the drivers and software successfully but Dell Support Center wouldn't launch. I did some system checkups and this was when I realized the Dell OEM certificate was also gone.

If it is true then that I may not be able to reinstall the OEM certificate, will I get it back after restoring my Dell system to factory and doing the upgrade again?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

You should have your WIndows 7 COA at the base; in many laptops under your battery or for Desktops inside your computer cover (to prevent fading).

You can also reinstall using a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD which will install via the Dell System Locked Preinstallation Key.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos