Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2009 21:00

Dell PC Restore by Symantec

I let an employee use this laptop and it appears that this idiot wiped out c:\ drive and installed XP Pro.  I need Windows Vista reinstalled.  I still have drive d:/ with the original as shipped image.  The only problem I have is that I don't have the Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed on drive c:/ any more.  Is there a place to download this from your site and install it so I can run the restore to drive c:/?????

3 Posts

February 1st, 2009 21:00

Since my company order this computer I don't have the original shipped image.  I also don't have enough information to provide DELL support to get the image sent to me.  I don't know who ordered the computer inside my company.  So DELL support will not send the image, I even tried to pay for it and they said NO.  When I reboot I hit the F12 and nothing happens.  All the restore partitions are still in the same shape as when the PC shipped.  When I double click on PCRestore in D:\Tools it looks like it's going to start the restore but it stop with an error message I can't read.  The error box that appears is to small the read the actual error.

3.7K Posts

January 27th, 2009 02:00

Hi jpkettley, Sorry, but you cannot download it. If your Symantec Restore has been removed, you will have to use the Dell reinstallation disc's to install your operating system and your drivers . If you dont have the disc's, and live in the US, click HERE for the online order form, if you live outside the US, then you will have to give your local dell support an ring.

5.2K Posts

January 28th, 2009 20:00

If you have the original as shipped image, you can install it by an F12 at the Dell Boot screen. Disk D: is the Restore Partition contains the image. Another hidden partition contains the Dell Diagnostics, and there is a fourth partition that contains Dell media Direct if it was supplied with your laptop. Check Disk Management to see what you have.

1.1K Posts

February 2nd, 2009 16:00

jpkettley

Maybe I’ve misunderstood, but if original preinstalled OS was Vista

It's the F8 key to initiate factory image restore (ImageX format) using the built in Vista Recovery Environment??

Completely different for restoring preinstalled WXP OS image using Dell PC Restore by Symantec (DSR) utility??

I.e. Dell does not use the DSR utility for preinstalled Vista OS

2.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2009 19:00

Jpkettley,

Perhaps I missed something here.  Am I correct that your system came with Vista and you wish to reinstall the Vista Factory Image?  Vista never had a PC Restore by Symantec partition.   Did Mr. Idi Ot repartition the hard drive, or did he just install XP Pro on the C: drive?  If all he did was install XP Pro on the C: drive, then the factory image partition should still exist on the hard drive.  It can be reinstalled manually.  Do you have your Dell Reinstallation DVD for Vista?

Tony 

5.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

Sorry for the brain glitch!

F12 if you need to change the boot order to repair from the OS install disk, F8 for the Repair functions.

2.9K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 20:00

Jpkettley,

When the employee installed XP on the C:\ drive it destroyed Dell's Proprietary Master Boot Record (PMBR).  That is what enables access to the Factory Image restore partition.

You can request a Vista DVD for your Dell computer here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=3A1C590C9132AB20E040A68F5B28350B&doclang=en&cs=

Here's how to reinstall your Factory Image manually as long as the Factory Image partition is intact.

First, go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

Download the Windows Automated Installation Kit.  Burn the WAIK ISO image to a DVD using Roxio, Nero or whatever DVD burning software you have that can burn ISO images.

Now, insert the DVD in a computer running Vista or Windows XP SP2 system with KB926044.  Install the WAIK.

Navigate to the Program Files folder where the WAIK was installed.  Find the Tools subdirectory.  Under it you will see four folders: AMD64, IA64, SERVICING, and X86.  Copy these folders to a USB drive.  They total less than 100Mb, so you can use a 128Mb USB flash drive if need be.

If you have installed Vista on the C:\ drive, then you can simply boot up your system.  Locate the file name factory.wim on the Factory Image partition. Make a note of the drive letter and path to that file.  On an Inspiron 1720 it is located in D:\Dell\Image\Factory.wim

Now go to the command prompt by typing CMD in the Run box.  If Vista is not installed on the C:\ drive you can boot the system with your Vista DVD or a "live" CD such as Bart's PE or UBCD for Windows and go to the command prompt.  Navigate to the Tools\x86\ folder on your USB flash drive.

Type the following command: imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

Your system should be restored to its original "as-shipped" configuration in about 30-45 minutes.

Note that this restores Dell's Proprietary Master Boot Record so that in the future you will be able to access the Factory Image by pressing F8 while booting up. 

Let us know if you run into any problems.  Usually, the main problem will be that Vista sees a startup error.  That can be easily fixed by running Vista's Startup Repair.  You will be able to use the F8 to do this since the Factory Image will restore F8 functionality.

Tony

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 20:00

I hit the F8 key and nothing happens.

The laptop came shipped with Vista installed.  My employee formatted drive c:\ and installed XP Pro on dirve c:\.  Drive d:\ and the hidden partition are still intact and have not been messed with.  Disk Management confirmed the hidden partition was still there.  Employee did NOT repartition any of the HDD's

I've hit F12 / F12 / F8 / F8 /   blah, blah, blah....   Nothing seems to be working.  Which key or combination of keys should I hit at the DELL splash BOOT screen on REBOOT???? 

4 disks came with the Laptop.  (1) A DELL APPLICATION disk to reinstall Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.0  (2) Works 8.5  (3) Roxio Creator (4) A DELL Drivers and Utilities disk for reinstalling DELL Portable Computer Software.

I need Vista reinstalled.

5.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 21:00

You press F8 when the F2/F12 selection pops up at the top of the Dell Boot screen. Hold the key and tap the F8 several times. If this doesn't work, the Restore Partition may have been erased or corrupted.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2009 01:00

i have a simlar problem.

I installed Windows 7, now the option to return to " Fractory Setting" is missing. the D: is there, i can navigate to the directory and see PCrestore. however when i try to start it, windows gets an error, and the program stops. could it be possible that if i boot from A vista home premium boot disc, i may have access to the program again?

I have no real wish to move back, windosw 7 is a vast improvement over Vista home premium, but it would be nice to "step back" again.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2009 03:00

pc restore in not f12 ,, ix xp it crtl+f11

in vista its f8 >repair my computer> factory imge restore.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2009 03:00

yes , but nostly this will be installed in the factrory . u have some sw lik ghost , which is realted to it

2.9K Posts

February 4th, 2009 04:00

Hydraprime,

When you installed Windows 7, it destroyed the Dell Proprietary Master Boot Record that controls access to the Factory Image partition.  With Windows 7, you should be able to use the manual restoration procedure which I described. 

Tony

5 Posts

February 4th, 2009 05:00

oops, 7 says there is no backup. but it is there i can see it!

2.9K Posts

February 4th, 2009 11:00

Hydraprime,

Yes.  Windows 7 will not see a backup because a Windows 7 backup; i.e., a backup made with Windows 7, does not exist.  If you can see the D:\ recovery partition then you should be able to use the imagex restoration procedure I described earlier.  At the Windows 7 Desktop, click on Start|Search.  Type in CMD.  When CMD appears in the Programs list, right click on it and Run as Administrator.  You should be able to log onto the D:\ recovery partition and find the factory.wim file.  I assume that you are familiar with command prompt commands.  If not, let us know.

Tony

No Events found!