hydraprime
1 Copper

Re: Dell PC Restore by Symantec

Jump to solution

i have a simlar problem.

I installed Windows 7, now the option to return to " Fractory Setting" is missing. the 😧 is there, i can navigate to the directory and see PCrestore. however when i try to start it, windows gets an error, and the program stops. could it be possible that if i boot from A vista home premium boot disc, i may have access to the program again?

I have no real wish to move back, windosw 7 is a vast improvement over Vista home premium, but it would be nice to "step back" again.

crazyon
1 Copper

Jump to solution

yes , but nostly this will be installed in the factrory . u have some sw lik ghost , which is realted to it

Highlighted
crazyon
1 Copper

Jump to solution

pc restore in not f12 ,, ix xp it crtl+f11

in vista its f8 >repair my computer> factory imge restore.

tgsmith
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Hydraprime,

When you installed Windows 7, it destroyed the Dell Proprietary Master Boot Record that controls access to the Factory Image partition.  With Windows 7, you should be able to use the manual restoration procedure which I described. 

Tony

hydraprime
1 Copper

Jump to solution

oops, 7 says there is no backup. but it is there i can see it!

tgsmith
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Hydraprime,

Yes.  Windows 7 will not see a backup because a Windows 7 backup; i.e., a backup made with Windows 7, does not exist.  If you can see the D:\ recovery partition then you should be able to use the imagex restoration procedure I described earlier.  At the Windows 7 Desktop, click on Start|Search.  Type in CMD.  When CMD appears in the Programs list, right click on it and Run as Administrator.  You should be able to log onto the D:\ recovery partition and find the factory.wim file.  I assume that you are familiar with command prompt commands.  If not, let us know.

Tony

hydraprime
1 Copper

Jump to solution

yeh, thanks for that. I'm more than happy at the command prompt (often wish i was back there) but i got an error using imagex. still got it sorted, i think, (its restoring now) i used a boot disc(vista) with a direct load, right to PCRestore. if i tried that in windows 7, i got an error soon after it started. as i say imagex was little better.

hydraprime
1 Copper

Jump to solution

right, i'm writing this on the lappy, running vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so if you have this problem, boot using a VISTA cd, navigate to the d drive and run pcrestore. or give me a shout any i will pass on the cd i used.

i would be interested to know, why the imagex failed, as it should have worked, actually i had already tried it before your post. indeed why pcrestore fails under win 7 too.

still this system looks like it deals with all dell comps on VISTA, so the problem is no more lol'

thanks guys:emotion-2: still nice to sort it myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tgsmith
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Hydraprime,

Usually, when imagex fails, it's because the wimfltr.inf needs to be installed first.  See this:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistadeployment/thread/1dd57db1-2882-4082-ab32...

Tony

hydraprime
1 Copper

Jump to solution

PCRESTORE is never kept on the "Root"/c:. its on the d drive in the tools directory.

0 Kudos