Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2012 08:00

Dell PhotoStage Stopped Working

I have an Dell Inspiron N5050 that came with the Dell Stage preinstalled.Love it.Recently my PhotoStage stopped working.All other features of Dell Stage work except for PhotoStage.Photostage will no longer let be connect and share photos to Facebook.The Photostage app disappeared from my facebook account on Oct 20 and I've searched the internet for help to fix the problem.

This is what happens: go to Photostage click on photo click on share botton choose facebook.States not connected to facebook so I put info in and attempt to connect.It takes me to Facebook and that's it. It never gives me the option of choosing folder or creating a new one.It just does nothing once I log into Facebook.I can't post photos to facebook using photostage.Help Please!!! This is one of the reasons I bought this computer was for the Dell Stage.Please help fix Photostage and get app back onto Facebook

Thank You

November 19th, 2012 22:00

Hi Bree42,

Please try reinstalling the 'Photo stage' application.

To uninstall it, please follow the steps listed below:
- Click 'Start' icon
- Type 'Uninstall a program' in 'Search programs and files' text box; and click the link that appears
- Click 'yes' when prompted with the 'User Access control' popup message
- Locate Dell 'photo stage' application and uninstall
- Follow through with the uninstall process as per the on-screen instructions
- Restart the computer

To install Dell photo stage application, please follow the steps listed below:
1. Log into 'My Dell Downloads' to access your system's software repository
- Click https://smartsource.dell.com
- Please follow the instructions and install the Active X controller as it is required for the My Dell Downloads to work
- Once you login to My Dell Downloads, click on Register

- Once you log in to 'My Dell Downloads', click 'Register'.
- Click Run if prompted
- You will get a list of all the applications that were shipped with your computer
- Download and install 'Dell Photo Stage' from the list

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

8 Posts

November 20th, 2012 01:00

I followed everything step by step.Once I got to register I allowed the active x to install and then nothing happened.Nothing installed and I stayed on the same page as shown above.I waited and waited for active X to install and for a list of applications to show but nothing happened.Now what?

8 Posts

November 20th, 2012 21:00

Sorry if I was not very clear with my reply above.

I uninstalled Photostage and restarted my computer.Followed your steps.I login and try to register my system,I allow the active x and I'm taken back to the register page everytime I try.I have even disabled my Windows firewall and anitvirus, cleared all cookies and retried it.Still the same result.My system will not register.Dell support says they can't help as it is a hardware issue and to have it repaired.My computer is only 6 months old why can I not register my system to redownload the Photostage?

November 20th, 2012 21:00

Hi Bree42,

Thank you for your prompt response. 'My Dell Downloads' registration page has 'JavaScript' and it needs 'Java' working in the browser that you are using. It appears that your browser does not the latest 'Java' add-on enabled. Please use 'Internet explorer' as the default browser and install 'Java' before trying to access the software list.

You may use the following steps to access and install the latest 'Java' version:
- Click http://bit.ly/btLAtw to download the latest 'Java' version
- Click 'Agree and Start Free Download'. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
- On the Notification bar, click 'Run'. Provide confirmation if prompted
- Click 'Install'
- Follow through and complete installation
- Restart the Internet Explorer browser and you should be prompted with a pop-up to enable 'Java'; Click 'Enable'
- If no pop-up appears, please refer to the following link and follow the steps mentioned to enable 'Java' in Internet Explorer: http://bit.ly/cPCytp

After proper configuration of 'Java' with 'Internet Explorer' try to access the software downloads again. You should be able to do it.

8 Posts

November 21st, 2012 18:00

Hi- Okay downloaded Java restarted computer and logged into register.It still is doing the same thing it will not let me register my system.I've tried it several times same result when I click on register my system it remains on same page.I'm at a complete loss I want photostage back.Why does dell refuse to help? I did register my computer a few months ago with Dell could that be the problem? Please continue to advice me what else to try

November 22nd, 2012 22:00

Hi Bree42,

Supported browsers for registering your computer through 'My dell downloads' is 'Internet Explorer'. I hope you are using it. Would like to know the operating system and IE version installed on the system.

I also recommend you to install all 'Windows updates' and recheck. To install 'Windows updates' you may want to refer to the following steps:
- Click the 'Start icon' and in the 'search box', type 'Update', and then, in the list of results, click 'Windows Update'
- In the left pane, click 'Check for updates', and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer
- If you see a message that reads, 'important updates are available', or telling you to review important updates, click the message to view and select the important updates to install
- In the list, click the 'important updates'. Select the check boxes for all updates and click 'OK'
- Similarly click 'optional updates' and select the check boxes for all updates and click 'OK'
- Click 'Install updates'
- Read and accept the license terms, and then click 'Finish' if the update requires it. Administrator permission required if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
- Some updates might require that you restart your computer to finish installing. Save and close all your programs before restarting to prevent data loss
- Restart your laptop and recheck results

If you experience the same issue, try deleting the 'cookies' of Internet Explorer browser. Click http://bit.ly/q0BV8 to have a look at a video for step-by-step instructions.

If the issue still persists, try to roll back IE to the previous version (I am assuming that IE version 9 is currently installed with Windows 7; if you have a different IE version installed, still proceed with the removal of the currently installed version). You may want to refer to the following steps:
- Close all programs
- Click 'Start', and then click 'Control Panel'
- Click 'Uninstall a Program' under the 'Programs' category
- In the 'Tasks pane', click 'View installed updates'
- In the list of installed updates, double-click 'Windows Internet Explorer 9' (Or the currently installed version)
- Restart the computer
- Please ensure that 'Java' add-on is installed and enabled in this updated IE version (Else follow the steps from my previous post to enable it)

You may try creating a new 'Windows user account' if the above mentioned steps don't work:
- Click 'Start'
- In 'Search programs and files' text-box, type 'user accounts' and click it (It will appear as a link in the search results)
- Click 'Manage another account' and 'Create new account' (administrator)
- Log-in the 'new user account' and retry your computer registration with 'My Dell Downloads' (New user account has default software settings; once you've registered your system and downloaded 'Photo stage', please continue using the original account for using the computer.

Hope this helps. do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

1 Message

November 24th, 2012 08:00

I'm having the same problem as Bree42.  I uninstalled Dell Photostage and reinstalled it.  The same problem exists.  Dell photostage won't connect to facebook.  Even when I type in the correct password and choose to "stay connected", It will not stay connected nor give me an option to upload to an album.  This used to work fine...please advise.  Thank you.

November 27th, 2012 01:00

Hi nvan24,

Since you've re-installed 'Dell Stage' it appears that the application is working fine. Either the 'Firewall' installed in the system or 'security settings' in 'Facebook' may also have a role to play. Please give full permissions to 'Photostage' in the 'Firewall'. If that does not fix the issue, you may also try customizing 'Facebook 'security settings'. Bree42, I would like to know if the issue was fixed after 'Dell stage' re-install. 

While researching, I came across a thread with a similar situation that seems to have fixed the issue. You may try the following steps:
- Log onto Facebook and go to your Account Settings
- Scroll down to 'Account Security' and click 'Change'
- 'Uncheck' the box underneath 'Secure Browsing' (https)
- Click 'Save' located underneath 'Login Approvals'

You may want to have a quick look at the thread I referred to: http://dell.to/UYI8zr

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

8 Posts

November 27th, 2012 10:00

I have done everything you suggested.It doesn't work.Just like in the thread you posted it's a viscious cycle.I open photostage,click on photo to upload to facebook,click on facebook icon,enter email and password,and nothing it takes me to facebook everytime.Photostage will not work with facebook.It did previously and stopped working over a month ago.Photostage will not connect to facebook.It's a junk program and Dell refuses to fix it

November 28th, 2012 22:00

Hi Bree42,

Thank you for your response. It appears to be a software related issue. Since you've already re-installed 'Dell-stage', you have successfully restored its default settings. It is unlikely that the application is misbehaving while in factory state. Another possible point of failure could be 'Facebook' security settings. Would like to know if you reconfigured the 'secure browsing' option in your 'Account Settings'. You may find the steps to be followed:
- Log onto Facebook and go to your Account Settings
- Scroll down to 'Account Security' and click 'Change'
- 'Uncheck' the box underneath 'Secure Browsing' (https)
- Click 'Save' located underneath 'Login Approvals'

If you have already tried these settings in your 'Facebook account' and the issue still persists, a software conflict/corruption in the laptop may also be the culprit. I recommend you to try 'System Restore' and roll back software changes to the date/time when 'Dell-stage' was communicating effectively with 'Facebook'. you may find the below mentioned steps useful:
Note: System Restore does not result into data loss; however all software changes made to the laptop after the chosen 'restore date' will be rolled back.
- Click the 'Start' icon
- In the search box, type 'System Restore', and then, in the list of results, click 'System Restore'
- Confirm your 'Restore point'
- Finish the restore as per the on-screen instructions

If 'System Restore' does not lead to a resolution, you may have to attempt a 'factory restore' to fix the issue.
You may want to refer to the detailed  steps for 'System Restore' in the following web article: http://dell.to/VRG2ad

1 Message

November 29th, 2012 23:00

I have read all of the comments and I have had my Dell computer for 2 years and used Photo stage weekly. My photo stage stopped working about two months ago and I have tried everything to get it to start working again. It does the exact same thing that Bree42 has reported.

It is obviously a problem with Dell and they need to get the problem corrected. We all can't be having the very same issue.

Hopefully someone can find out what the problem is. I have talked to Dell technicians and they didn't have an answer. It is getting

to be a ridiculous situation.

Thank you for any other help you can give us.

Also when photo stage stopped working to download to Facebook there is now nothing to click on to delete any pictures.

I have uninstalled photo stage........reinstalled it........restored...........and changed my account security on Facebook that you

suggested.........still does not connect to Facebook...........very frustrating.

8 Posts

November 30th, 2012 21:00

I have made sure my facebook settings were correct, wiped all my computer files clean and restored factory settings.I even created a new facebook account.The dell photostage program will not work with facebook.It works just fine with Twitter but not facebook. I have contacted Dell tech support and they can't even come up with a solution.The program is not compatiable with Facebook and should not be sold as it is.I'm going to insist that Dell allow be to return this computer and give me my money back as I bought this computer for the programs. I wish I would have done more research as it is a wide spread problem posted all over the web.Dell sold me a computer claiming it's program could do somethng that it can't do.I have been a Dell customer for many many years no longer will I purchase a Dell again.Dell lost another great customer and my review on all websites will be very negative. Dell's website can't even allow me to register my system  to download files.Very disappointed Dell customer.Never again.Thank you for your assistance but unfortunely you can't help me fix a program that does not work or is not compatiable with Facebook as advertised.

8 Posts

November 30th, 2012 22:00

Sorry I meant Flickr not Twitter. Also with my new restored factory settings  and retored backup from Dell.I lost the use of Video and Music stage also not just Photostage

8 Posts

November 30th, 2012 22:00

Sorry meant Flickr not twitter

December 4th, 2012 06:00

Hi Bree42,

Apologies for the unpleasant experience. Please share the exact issue/error that occurs during system registration. If an error appears, screenshot of the page will be helpful.

@ donzee46: Pertaining to the issue with 'Photo Stage - Facebook' functionality, I am raising it to the 'product group team' for further research; will keep you updated. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

No Events found!