Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2013 13:00

Dell Recovery Discs

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how the Dell technology works.
Is it true that Dell only a few Recovery DVD's has?
Or is it different with each PC. I mean, has every PC a different part number.
If it is true then I understand how Dell works.
Can the DVD be used on every Dell PC with the same Windows version?
I mean: Windows 7 Professional Disks can be used on any Dell PC where Windows 7 Professional is licensed.
And I mean also: 64 and 32 bit disks are also compatible on 64 bit PC's, but 32 bit DVD's are only compatible with 32 bit PC's.

Matthias

953 Posts

October 18th, 2013 14:00

Hi Matthias,

Operating System disc is same for one version of Windows.

Every PC is identified with a unique System Service Tag Number.

Yes, the Operating System Disc will work on different Dell PC with same version of Windows.

If Windows 7 64-bit Operating System was shipped with one Dell PC and another user also ordered the System with the same version of Windows, the 2nd user can successfully install the Operating System using the disc of the first PC. The same applies for 32-bit Operating System.

The customer will not be able to install 64-bit Operating System on a system with 32-bit processor as there is a hardware limitation. More information is available at:

Microsoft OS FAQ’s

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Your OEM license allows you to run EITHER 32-bit OR 64-bit ... this is like the 4th time you've asked this.

13 Posts

OK, so I mean: a 64 bit PC can install both versions? 32 bit and 64 bit?

I see it, my system is pre-activated with SLIC in BIOS.

13 Posts

Hi man,

I don't mean this.

I mean 32 bit OR 64 bit.

The 32 bit version is AWAY of my PC.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

OK, so I mean: a 64 bit PC can install both versions? 32 bit and 64 bit?

I see it, my system is pre-activated with SLIC in BIOS.

What you are proposing is ILLEGAL.

Why do you persist in asking questions like these?????

You have one license and one license only.

13 Posts

October 19th, 2013 00:00

Some people thinks it is illegal to do: they think I'm running 64bit AND 32bit on the same PC.

This is NOT what I mean. We lost the installation DVD and Recovery of the 32bit install.

I mean that I would like to install 64bit IN PLACE OF 32bit. As I understand now on the Community forum: Dell has a few OEM discs which are the same for all PC's. My license is capable to run 64bit and 32bit but not at the same time.

I called Microsoft, they say it is LEGAL to do an installation of 64bit. In the license on the PC I saw: you can run 64bit OR 32bit. But not at the same time.

I think I'm right?

No Events found!