Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2011 17:00

Dell Support Center update PCTuneup not working properly

Hello

A while back my Dell Support Center indicated I needed to upgrade and being a good dooby I did. installation went without apparent problem  I found myself with something called PC Tuneup which, once downloaded and installed never worked.  When I try to use it from my start menu, the program freezes (no error message) and I need to use Task Manager to get rid of it.  Now, it's not wreaking any havoc or blue screensas long as I don't try to use it, but when I look in my event viewer under admin tools in control panel, I see multiple errors each day saying the program could not run, that my CD/DVD ROM (which I don't really use) was having errors and that my Intel Matrix Storage Manager was not working properly. 

I'm a geek and like to see no errors, so I went into Task scheduler and disabled all the tasks associated with this program.  Apparently the culprit was a 'hidden' task--  called a Daily System Tools Checker or something like that.

So far, so good.  No more errors.  Now, I'd like to get rid of this version of Dell Support Center and came here to find out how.  I followed the instructions in another post to go to Programs and Features.  When I got in there, I found 2 Dell support center programs.  One has on icon that looks like a sideways E and that is version 6.0.something, and the other has a small doctors stethescope (looks like the PC TUneup icon that is version 3.0.something.

I am also confused because I am reading here about a 'PC Tuneup' that Dell sells.  I never bought this, it came as an upgrade to Dell SUpport Center.

My question.   Is there a newer version of Dell Support Center that has come out in the last 2 or 3 months on the Dell website that I can download to make this program work better?  Should I just uninstall one or both of these programs?  Or should I leave well enough alone.  Ain't broke don't fix or meddle?

My desktop is a Dell XPS 420 running Windows Vista 32 bit RAID 0 with the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

Thanks

13 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 08:00

The Dell Support Center software on my XPS 400 suddenly reported that I had chosen not to use the software anymore, when, of course, I had done no such thing,  I was advised to click on a link to restore the capability, which downloaded aulauncher.exe.  Running this application leads you in a merry circle.  The Dell Support Center software currently has no functionality, yet aulauncher claims another program has exclusive use of some file and terminates.

This kind of support I don't need.

No Events found!