Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

April 15th, 2005 21:00

Dell Support won't uninstall

Hi, I have a Dimension 8300 with WinXP Home SP2 and all MS maint.

I tried to uninstall Dell Support (via Control Panel) and it fails.

The uninstall begins and then the progress box suddenly changes to say cancel in progress accompanied by 10 beeps about a second apart. The beeps/bells are the same sound you get when typing outside a text box. Aside from the strange beeps it acts as if someone clicked the cancel button on the uninstall dialog box.

FWIW, Dell Support had never been activated on the PC when I tried to install it. I then activated it and tried again but get the same results every time.  

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 16th, 2005 18:00

Dell Support never needed Activation. Sounds like you have a corrupt installation. You can try reinstalling it and then uninstalling, but if you are not having Notify Alert errors, just leave it alone.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2005 22:00

I have having the exact same problem as the Original Poster. I have tried exiting the tray application first, then uninstalling. Same problem. "Canceling" appears and then 10 beeps, and it just stops. But it is still listed in Add/Remove programs.

Instead of "ignoring" the problem, I'd rather have some advice on how to remove it completely.

This is on a brand new Inspiron 6000.

Thanks.

Message Edited by shatner on 05-03-2005 03:53 AM

4 Posts

April 20th, 2005 11:00

Were you ever able to get a resolution to your uninstall problem. I am having the same problem which began when I started to receive error messages from NotifyAlert. Did you need to first reinstall Dell Support?

1 Message

May 2nd, 2005 15:00

Solution - I came across the same problem...  Each time I tried to uninstall Dell Support Alerts from Add/Remove Programs, the process would cancel half way through.  In order to successfully uninstall Dell Support Alerts, I first had to re-download Dell Support (18 MB!!!!)  Once downloaded, I ran the file and it asked if I was sure I wanted to uninstall...  It was weird, but I said "yes" and it worked.  The icon still remained in the Add/Remove Programs section but if you click the 'remove' button it will take it away.

4 Posts

May 4th, 2005 10:00

I took a more direct approach. I located a posting that explained how to modify the regestry and symply deleted the run command that started the alert software. I still have the clutter of the app on the machine but it de the problem go away.

63 Posts

April 4th, 2007 17:00

Anyone found a solution?
I have same problem.  I wanted to uninstall because there's a newer version (3.1) and so I don't need the version 2.  But it won't let me uninstall it.  Tried all the suggestions above (reinstalling, etc) but nothing works.
Anyone found a solution?
No Events found!