Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2013 21:00

Dell Windows 7 Factory Recovery/Restore Problem - Windows requires existing user ID and password after full recovery? Why?

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 desktop computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. I performed a full system recovery using the recovery partition on the hard drive first where it wipes all data and restores to factory condition. After the restore, when Windows is starting for the first time, it comes up to the normal login screen requiring a user ID and password.  Why is this? I cannot continue since there is no user ID and password when you expect all data to be wiped and starting with a full factory restore/recovery.

I performed it a second time with the same results.

I performed it a third time using the Dell Recovery Disk set made using the Dell program on the computer before the restore operation. I watched the program perform a format of the partition so all data should be erased. I got the same results asking for an existing user ID and password.

Now I performed the full factory restore/recovery a fourth time using the recovery disks. I still go tthe same results.

When booting to Windows 7 for the first time each time, I expect Windows to ask me to create a new user ID and password.  Instead, Windows boots to the normal login screen askling for an existing user ID and password. What is the cause of this problem? I see several people with this problem in the forums. I have not found a real solution.

Thanks for any help offered. :-)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 16th, 2013 09:00

Follow A Clean Install of Windows 7 in Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/windows-reinstallation-guide-02-02-2013.pdf

Do not use the media created with the Dell DataSafe program. Instead use a Dell Reinstallation DVD. Use the form below to request a reinstallation DVD.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1&DoNotRedirect=y

5 Posts

February 25th, 2013 20:00

I have successfully restored the computer to a original condition using the replacement Windows 7 disk set from Dell. The system is now working perfectly. Thanks for your help on this, Allan D.

I consider this issue closed and resolved now.

Thanks, again.

MB

2.6K Posts

February 13th, 2013 02:00

Hello Parabolon1, 

It can be frustrating when you re-install the operating system and  it asks for the existing user id and password. I would suggest performing a Clean Re-installation of the Operating system. You would require the Operating System disk to perform the clean re-installation of windows. Clean Re-installation means, deleting all the previous partition which had windows installed in it and then creating new partition to install a fresh copy of  windows. The main difference in a Windows 7 clean install verses other kinds of Windows 7 installation methods is that a clean install involves the removal of all operating system related partitions. 

-- In the process of re-installing windows, on the screen when it asks where do you want to install Windows, Click Device Options(Advanced).

Now that all available drive options are listed, you can delete any operating system related partitions from your existing hard drive(s).
**Important: Before continuing, be aware that deleting a partition will permanently erase all data from that drive. By all data I mean the operating system installed, all programs, all data saved by those programs, all music, all video, all documents, etc. that might be on that particular drive.

--Delete the Partition Windows is Installed On 

The message says "The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you delete this partition, any data stored on it will be lost." Click the OK button.
-- Confirm the Partition Deletion.

If there are any other partitions please delete them as well.

As you can now see, all the space on the installed hard drive is unallocated. No partitions exist on this computer.
Note: The number of partitions displayed and whether those partitions are unallocated portions of a hard drive, previously partitioned spaces, or previously formatted and blank partitions will depend on your specific system and which partitions you deleted in the last several steps. If you're installing Windows 7 on a computer with a single hard drive on which you've just deleted all the partitions from, your screen should look like the one below, aside from your hard drive being a different size. Choose the appropriate unallocated space to install Windows 7 on and then click Next.

For more details please refer to the Windows Reinstallation Guide [PDF]. After re-installing windows, please ensure to install the drivers in the correct order. It is very important for the computer to function properly. 

Please write back for further queries.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2013 06:00

Thanks for your quick response, Mr Allan D. Maybe my description wasnt clear, but those are the exact steps i followed each of the four times i performed the recovery. Since Dell no longer includes OEM Windows disks, I could only use the recovery disks made with the computer or the recovery partition. Do you have any other suggestions?  Thanks. MB

2.6K Posts

February 15th, 2013 07:00

Hello Parabolon1,

The problem seems to be with the disk that was created. Hence I’d request you to private message me the system service tag number. I'll see what best can be done. To private message, click on my user name and click start conversation. 

Please write back, I’d be glad to assist you further. 

5 Posts

February 15th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the response, Allan D.  I will send a private message.

2.6K Posts

February 15th, 2013 10:00

Hello Parabolon1,

I have received your private message and would be replying to it.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 26th, 2013 00:00

Great, glad you got your system back up and running. :)

Also I have a new revision of the reinstalaltion guide:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

I have added a section on creating a backup with Acronis, I advise doing this now that you have your system working the way you want it.

No Events found!