AshGordon
1 Copper

Dell XPS 13 not PXE booting

Hello,

We are planning to use the Dell's as our new machines for our company. I have built a machine up and have it ready to be captured, however, after setting the correct options in the bios and using a USB 2.0 ethernet adapter it will not pick up PXE boot.

I had a quick look around and found that PXE boot is only supported on USB 2.0 where as the xps only has USB 3.0.

Any workarounds to get this to work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

RE: Dell XPS 13 not PXE booting

PXE boot requires a compatible operating system. We can assist you better if you can provide the details of the operating system you're trying to boot using PXE.

Kindly note that Windows client doesn't support PXE booting.

Balaji Kundalam

0 Kudos
AshGordon
1 Copper

Hi Balaji,

Thank you for getting back to me, The XPS was originally Windows 8 but we did a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional.

Ash

0 Kudos

Which operating system you're trying to boot using PXE? If it's Windows 7/8, as I mentioned earlier, will not work as they do not support PXE boot.

Balaji Kundalam

0 Kudos
AshGordon
1 Copper

Sorry do you mean the OS does not support PXE boot or the xps?

We've PXE booted to Windows 7 before so we know it works...

I'm aware that you cannot PXE boot to USB3.0 but was wondering if there is a way to get the ports to work as USB2.0 instead so i can PXE boot.

or any other solution so i can Capture the image.

Ash

0 Kudos

Sorry for the delay.

XPS 13 comes with USB 3.0 ports only and can't be changed to USB 2.0, although USB 3.0 supports USB 2.0 devices.

The only option I can suggest is WiFi.

Balaji Kundalam

0 Kudos
AshGordon
1 Copper

You can't PXE boot with Wifi...

0 Kudos