Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2013 10:00

Dell XPS 15 (L502x) - Reinstall Windows Problems - HELP PLEASE

Hello,

I recently had my dell laptop fixed at a local electronic store. They replaced my hard-drive and reinstall windows 7. When I got the laptop back, noticed some things are missing ... like how my keyboard does not light up anymore, and I really loved that function of my laptop :( So I did some google research and it said I need to re-download some drivers and what not. I tried to follow the list that dell provided here: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_1A0C0937D62A8739E0401E0A55174744

but my problem is... I can't find those on the driver and downloads page for my laptop, is there any other way? Or what can I do now?

Please and thank you very much.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 17th, 2013 10:00

Hi Kimmyy,

As you said you have reinstalled the operating system, may I know if you have reinstalled the Quickset application?

If not use this link to install Quickset application: http://dell.to/12Vwcnc

Click the above link follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Use the key combination FN+F6 to enable the backlit keyboard.

Please post the results.

5 Posts

July 20th, 2013 09:00

wow! thank you! I was looking for that! and even after i tried doing so, the keyboard is still the same. Any clue why?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 21st, 2013 04:00

Hi Kimmyy,

Have you tried to switching on the backlit keyboard using the key combination Fn+F6.

Please try it and post the results.

5 Posts

July 21st, 2013 20:00

I have tried that and it doesn't work either. 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hi kimmyy,

You can change backlight settings such as power save mode, backlight status etc.

Browse to c:\program file\dell\quickset and Launch BacklitKB.exe. The page looks as follows:

Change the Keyboard lighting settings as per the image and click ‘Ok’.

Please let me know the results.

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 11:00

I have done just that, and it still not working. When I took my laptop to get fixed, they installed a new hard drive as well, could this be another reason why it is not working properly?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi Kimmyy,

Please update the BIOS to the latest version. To update the latest version of BIOS:

1. Click this link: http://dell.to/17F08dH
  2. Enter the service tag of the system, and select Drivers and Downloads tab.
  3. Select the operating system from the dropdown and download the latest version of BIOS listed under BIOS category.
  4. Ensure to connect the AC Adapter to the computer and the Battery level is above 15%.
  5. Close all the open programs and make sure to save all the data in the computer.
  6. Run the previously downloaded BIOS setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS.
  7. Restart the computer when prompted.
  8. Try to activate backlit by using key combination FN+F6, or use only F6 key and check.

If the above steps do not help, it could be a keyboard cable connector problem, if it is possible reseat the keyboard cable connector and check if that helps.

To reseat the Keyboard cable connector, please follow the steps from this link: http://bit.ly/QE7oQ7

Please reply for further help.

5 Posts

August 24th, 2013 20:00

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I tried the first option and that did not work. I have tried to reset the Keyboard cable connector, but I was having trouble taking it apart and was afraid to continue, maybe I will ask someone to do that for me. Thank you for your help.

But I recently noticed a new problem, and would like help. Every time I close my laptop, to set it to go to sleep and what not, when I open the lid it goes completely black. Usually it would take me to the login screen, but nope, it just went black. Any ideas? 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi Kimmyy,

To prevent this from happening follow the below steps:

1. Click Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Power Options.
  2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.
  3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.
  4. On the Advance settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow Hybrid Sleep, and choose OFF.
  5. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.
  6. On the Advanced settings tab, expand USB settings, under USB settings expand USB selective suspend settings, choose Disable.
  7. Click Apply and then OK to save the changes.

Check if the above steps work and reply.

No Events found!