Highlighted
bcucc
Copper

Dell XPS 410 with "unofficial Microsoft Vista Pro OS". is it possible to install Win 10?

I recently acquired a Dell XPS 410 . It came complete with monitor, keyboard, mouse and all connectors.  I fired it up with no problems but a message came up informing me that it was necessary register with Microsoft. I entered the product key and a message came up that essentially said that this Vista pro was not an official product.  Another problem  is that the Hard drive had been reformatted.

I followed the instructions to purchase another key. While Microsoft was mulling this over I was able to connect to Firefox and peruse the internet.  After waiting for at least 20 minutes for Microsoft to answer the unit shut down.

I would like to keep the PC and install Win 10. But Is it possible?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Philip_Yip
Indium

RE: Dell XPS 410 with "unofficial Microsoft Vista Pro OS". is it possible to install Win 10?

Windows Vista reaches End of Extended Support in 5 months. There is no point in installing Windows Vista now. It is possible to install Windows 10 on that system but the cost of the full retail license may be more than the hardware is worth.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos