Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2018 09:00

Dell XPS 420 secure boot

Hello, i have and old Dell XPS 420 (Q9300, 5gb RAM) and today i wanted to install a fresh windows 7 on the new SSD. The problem is that i cannot install windows from a USB device and a lot of people have told me that i need to first disable boot secure to be able to do that. I've looked in the bios (bios version A07) and there is no option regarding the boot secure, so my question is: where do i find that option?

Any replies would be so much welcomed.

Thank you,

Andrew

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 10th, 2018 04:00

The XPS 420 is an older 2007 model which has a Legacy Only BIOS and therefore does not have a UEFI BIOS (introduced in 2011) or Secure Boot (introduced in 2012). The Bootable USB (best made using Rufus) should be setup using the MBR Partition Scheme and use the NTFS format.

5.6K Posts

December 9th, 2018 14:00

@Tzaqa wrote:

Hello, i have and old Dell XPS 420 (Q9300, 5gb RAM) and today i wanted to install a fresh windows 7 on the new SSD. The problem is that i cannot install windows from a USB device and a lot of people have told me that i need to first disable boot secure to be able to do that. I've looked in the bios (bios version A07) and there is no option regarding the boot secure, so my question is: where do i find that option?

Any replies would be so much welcomed.

Thank you,

Andrew

Disabling Secure Boot should not be necessary for your PC.

Are you sure you have a bootable USB flash drive of Windows 7? I suspect that is your problem.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2018 05:00

Hei Philip, Rufus is the same tool i used :) i know for certain that i used the NTFS format but i cannot remember if it was set up using MBR Partition Scheme (to be honest, i dont even know what that is). I will try again as soon as i get home and reply here with my results.

Thanks !

3 Posts

December 11th, 2018 11:00

It worked, i'm installing windows as i write this message. Thank you guys for your support.

No Events found!