Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2011 16:00

Dell XPS 7100 Hybernation/Sleep Issue

My compuiter display goes into hybernation or sleep even though I've set never for 'turn off display' and 'computer sleep' in power options.  When it goes into hybernation or sleep, areas black-out on the display.  In windows live mail, most of the screen is blacked out when I hit a key or move the mouse to re-activate display.  Sometimes the computer locks up and I have to re-boot.  I first happens about an our or two after turn-on, then more frequently after the first hybernation.

I've read a lot on the internet.  Most of the suggestions is to do what I've done, changing to never in the Power Options.  I do get updates automattically.

This is on my Dell XPS 7100, installed in September 2011 with Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit. Computer display, Dell G2210.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 12th, 2011 17:00

Hi Jbensonxps7100,

Hibernation is really a software issue, so you might want to post in the Microsoft OS forum. However, to disable hibernation, open a command prompt and type:

powercfg -h off

November 30th, 2011 15:00

Osprey4,

Thanks for the reply and moving my question to the software & operating systems section.  Before your reply I turned on a screen saver (bubbles) which seems to have resolved my lock-up issues.  But my screen in Windows Live still goes black around my email in-box mail listings after an hour or two.  I see all my in-box emails but the folders section to the left goes black and so does the view section to the right.  I would prefer to not disable hibernation but to fix the real problem.  Any other suggestions.

No Events found!