Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2009 11:00

Dell XPS Reinstallation CDs HELP!!!!

I have a XPS M140 w/ windows xp media center edition 2005 on it.  I recieved it in 2006 and I don't recall ever recieving the reinstalltion CDs for it.  And of course my warranty is expired now so I have to buy them.  I was just thinking of doing a PC restore but am afraid that this wont fix the problem I am having.  I had taken it to geek squad a few weeks ago to get a Webroot spysweeper program I had downloaded from their website off  (b/c i bought the actual webroot antivirus/spysweeper disc) and they couldnt get it off and wanted me to pay big bucks for them to check it.  They said it could be anything from a  virus or something wrong with my OS and that the most dramatic thing that they would have to do is reinstall my OS altogether.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do?  Will PC restore possibly help? or should I just buy my reinstalltion CDs from dell? And does anyone know a rough ballpark range of the cost of reinstallation cds?  Because I know I wont be able to purchase them at the moment and would like to get an idea of how much i need to save up to buy them...thanks so much!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

1.1K Posts

August 19th, 2009 11:00

Yes, PC Restore by Symantec (a.k.a. DSR) utility, if still working, will restore computer to original out-of-box condition without using any Dell OEM CDs, step-by step procedure is here

Click on the “change the Operating System” link if procedure defaults to Vista OS

Whether you have a working DSR utility or not, you really should have original Dell OEM CDs

If the registered owner of computer & in US, then click here to request Dell CDs

If outside US you should contact your local region Dell Support

If you obtain Dell OEM CDs the Clean Install step-by step procedure is here

Click on the “change the Operating System” link if procedure defaults to Vista OS

Read the Dell Support step-by step procedures carefully

If you suspect Malware infection, you could try posting in Malware Removal Forum, click here

Carefully read the very first thread by Bugbatter before posting in that Forum

No Events found!