Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2009 09:00

Dell driver download problems

I had to reinstall Windows XP pro on my laptop and know I have to download drivers. The problem I am having is when attempting to download I keep getting an error saying "cannot find http://xserv.dell.com etc etc. I have tried Firefox and IE (both are the current versions as req). Any suggestions from users that have recently downloaded drivers would be appreciated.

2.6K Posts

October 25th, 2009 11:00

If you're trying to use the Dell Download Manager, that may be the problem - two issues that pop up are that A) it requires .net Framework 2.0 for IE (and 3.5 for Firefox), and B) some firewalls/AV software just don't like it.    Just revert to the regular browser download - you'll only be able to get drivers one at a time instead of compiling a list, but it's more reliable.

To remove the Download Manager as the "default" for downloading from Dell,  you may need to clear all the Dell cookies in your browser first, then go back and pick the driver you want, and select the  "Browser Download" option instead.

October 25th, 2009 12:00

Alexandra-P: Thank you very much. I did exactly as you said, after I made phone calls (which were somewhat confusing, but your reply cleared them up). Any way my laptop is back up and purring like a cat. Thanks again very much!~

October 25th, 2009 12:00

I have it figured out after couple phone calls. System is now back up and running.

2.6K Posts

October 25th, 2009 17:00

Glad you got it sorted out. :emotion-1:

No Events found!