Highlighted
camnelson
1 Copper

Dell gave me the wrong edition of Windows XP

I ordered my laptop from Dell back in 2006. I am not 100 percent sure what edition of Windows my computer came with, but I did have the Windows Media Center program along with the tv tuner from Dell. Because of this I assume I must have had Windows XP Media Center Edition. I recently had to erase my hard drive and reinstall everything. I found that the back-up disk I had was for Windows XP Home Edition, which does not include Media Center. I have been told that there is NO way XP Home could have come with the Media Center program. So Dell must have given me the wrong back up disk. How do I go about getting the correct disk even though it has been almost 4 years since I got my computer? Or is there any way I can add on Media Center to my computer now?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Dell gave me the wrong edition of Windows XP

On many Dell's there is a recovery partition on the hard drive, accessed by CTRL/F11 for XP systems.  If you have that you can completely reinstall using the recovery partition and no discs are needed. 

HERE is the Dell replacement disc form. You can give that a try. 

There were some mis-labled discs distributed back in that time frame.  Have you actually tried the disc to see what is on it?

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos