Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 14th, 2003 15:00

Dial-Up Save Password Enters Password Twice

Dial-Up "Save Password" feature saves password twice over as "passwordpassword" vice just "password" (going by character count of "****************" vice "********" when Windows auto-enters the password in the dial-up dialog box). 

How can i keep my Dell Dimension Windows (Ver 5.1 Service Pack 1) from remembering my dial-up passwords 'twice'?

4.4K Posts

I think that it may just be putting 16 stars, whatever the length of the password. Does it connect OK?

No it does not connect okay. My save password feature does not work - it saves the password twice as evidenced by the number of stars - twice the number expected whatever the password is changed to. This applies to all dial-up dialog boxes.

I must enter the password each time.

146 Posts

December 14th, 2003 16:00

The stars mean nothing, it' a security feature to keeping ppl watching you enter your password confused.

It's a detailed procedure to get it to remember them. Follow the instructions close.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

You will have to re-enter all your saved system passwords, this will delete them all

2K Posts

December 14th, 2003 18:00

@WillyTee wrote:

The stars mean nothing, it' a security feature to keeping ppl watching you enter your password confused.It's a detailed procedure to get it to remember them. Follow the instructions close.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

You will have to re-enter all your saved system passwords, this will delete them all

Don't know want its got to do with above link for OE password.
Sometimes I had to enter Password in Dial-up Connection window.
Click Cancel in Dial-up window & re-enter password with Save Password ticked.

December 14th, 2003 21:00

The stars do mean something: the stars represent the characters of the password. If the password is eight characters, there should be eight stars - my machine shows sixteen stars for an eight character password. And my connection is refused for invalid username-password combo. Since there are always twice as many stars autoentered as there are characters in the last saved password (when changed to a six character password and saved for auto-entry then twelve stars are shown upon the next try), it is reasonable to conclude that for some reason windows is entering the password twice.

I followed the procedure at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm. But my password error reappeared when new passwords were saved.

What WindowsXP features might be in conflict here that are 'helping' by entering my password twice: what other WindowsXP feature memorizes and auto-enters passwords? And/or where can i go to access the password directly in any form?

2K Posts

December 14th, 2003 21:00

You seem to be talking about Dial-up ISP Password so the OE Password fix won't work.
For Dial-up even if the Password in entered in Iternet Options & is less than 16 charcters it is allways shown in Dial-up connect  as 16 *  for sercurity.

So if your Dial-up gives Invalid username or password just re-enter Password as I Replyed with before.

December 15th, 2003 13:00

Simply re-entering the password in any sequence does not clear the error. Thank you but I need to know where WindowsXP is retreiving my password from.

2K Posts

December 15th, 2003 19:00

@JoeOvercoat wrote:
Simply re-entering the password in any sequence does not clear the error. Thank you but I need to know where WindowsXP is retreiving my password from.

I assume by "Error" you still get "Invalid username or password" shown by "Dial-up Connection" window.
Don't know what you mean by "any sequence" as there isn't any sequence for entering password just type the password in "Dial-up Connection" window after you click Cancel if it Auto connects.

You could check password with your ISP , I was using my standard password & when I changed ISP's & forgot the new ISP auto allocated a different password so when I entered it the Dial-up Connection worked.

No Events found!