Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2007 01:00

Dialing back to XP - SATA driver/slipstream/txtsetup.oem problems

So I just got my Dell 1721 with dual RAID 0 160 gig drives.  Want to dial it back to Windows XP, but having problems with XP setup not seeing my drives.

I set the SATA operation in BIOS to RAID Autodetect/ATA.
I downloaded the SATA driver from Dell (R167809.EXE, unzipped to give me ahcix86s.inf, however same file for both Vista and XP on Dell).
I slipstreamed the driver into nLite (I also upgraded XP to SP 2, and included a package of hotfixes etc. from http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html, very neat site.  Don't know if these additions are part of problem or not).

This did not work.  XP installation did not recognize drives.

So, Plan B, had a USB Floppy A (my one and only thanks to wife's IMac).  Put ahcix86s.inf on the floppy, tried F6 approach on XP install.  XP recognized floppy, but got message "txtsetup.oem" not found.  Found a general format for this kind of file on Microsoft site, but need the specifics for my computer and don't know where to get it.

Help.  Please.  What should be my next approach?

12.7K Posts

November 18th, 2007 02:00

If you set the bios to "RAID Autodetect/ATA" you should not need Sata drivers. Re-check the setting, be sure it saved on exit.

Be sure to use a XPsp2 level cd.

Other Advice you may need after you get Xp installed.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2007 15:00

Thanks for advice mombodog.  I do have BIOS set to RAID Autodetect/ATA, and I am using an XP SP2 level image.

I also tried the avalanche of drivers method.  Went to http://www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/ and slipstreamed in a huge bundle of MassStorage drivers (using instructions found on www.notebookreview.com, message " Create a Slipstreamed XP Disc w/Drivers (for xi/xa series)").  Did not work.

I read on some forum that Dell did allow Staples to sell the 1721 with Windows XP, so it must be possible in some universe.   I'll keep building a spaceship in my barn, looking at the stars every night.

1.9K Posts

November 19th, 2007 04:00

Windows XP doesn't use the " txtsetup.oem ".

There should be a file in the i386 directory of the CD called " WINNT.SIF ".

I take it that you are not using a Dell OEM CD for the installation of Windows? If you are then the winnt.sif file should be there in the I386 Directory already. It is a text file and also contains the CD install key for Dell SLP Coded BIOS.

pcgeek11

Message Edited by pcgeek11 on 11-19-2007 12:32 AM
No Events found!