Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2009 10:00

Dimension 8400 bootup failure...

My computer will not bootup -- in fact, attempting to do so only does 3 things:

1) The motherboard's processor fan winds up to full speed & does not get kicked down*

2)  The Screen indicates no signal (even though all connections are fine)

3)  The Diagnostics LEDs indicate that the graphics card is bad (Code: A=yellow, B=green, C=yellow, D=green)

I have pulled out the graphics card & reset it as the troubleshooting guide suggest (I have no spare Graphics Card to test further GPU malfuctions), though I don't think it has anything to do with the card. Because the fan freaks out at max velocity, I think it has to do with the BIOS since it should be the controller for throttling it down, but am not abosolutely sure I have if correct. So can anyone tell me if I am right or not & what the best fix is for my system. Is there a way to reset the BIOS without being able to bootup at all/no signal to the monitor or am I stuck with buying another motherboard?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 15th, 2009 11:00

You need to try a different video card. No way around it. That can cause all kinds of problems. Reseating a failed card does nothing to solve the problem. Buy a new one.

1 Message

June 15th, 2009 15:00

You need to try a different video card. No way around it. That can cause all kinds of problems. Reseating a failed card does nothing to solve the problem. Buy a new one.

But how would that explain the CPU fan's problem - shouldn't the BIOS set that at it's proper rpm before the video card initiates? A bad video card would explain the blank screen & the LED diagnostics if these were the only issues, but I'm not sure that it would have any affect on the motherboard processor's cooling fan -- there has to be something else going on. In my experience, sometimes diagnostics can be wrong (i.e. if there is no diagnostic code for a specific problem, an erroneous code may be generated because the diagnotics are forced to give some kind of error code, even if it has nothing to do with the issue at hand).

2 Posts

June 17th, 2009 09:00

Yeah, that definitely solved the problem. I bought a cheapo GPU at Walmart to test it -- that way I can return it & buy a decent card later. Thanks for the response.

No Events found!