Highlighted
clam34
1 Copper

Dimension 9100 running XP home edition won't boot up at all

Hello all, I have a Dell Dimension 9100 desktop running on XP home. I have upgraded the RAM to 3 gigs, but that is about the only thing I have done to it, and I have never had any serious problems.

However, I recently got a pretty fun virus while using ie (I know, I usually use firefox)... anyhow, i went through many steps and programs to clean everything up. The computer was working fine.

However, when I started it up the next time, I got a "userinit" error. My computer would hang at my wallpaper, no icons or taskbars. I restarted a few times, and the same thing happened everytime. I tried to start in safemode, but I couldn't get any menu when I pressed F8... so I went the normal way, and accessed the taskmanager. The taskmanager was the only thing I had access to (no icons or taskbars)... from the taskmanager menu, I set the computer to restart in safe mode.

I restarted the computer. It powers up. and does NOTHING. I have a black screen. The monitor doesn't even flash anything or really even turn on. My power button remains solid green, my keyboard turns on, can restart if I press ctrl+alt+delete... but again, nothing but black.

I ordered my reinstillation cd from Dell.. inserted it, restarted.. I hear it spinning, hear my computer working, but then nothing happens again. I have no access to anything or any options.

please help.. I don't consider myself computer genius, but I am usually pretty good at this stuff, and I have no clue what to do.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
telle25
1 Copper

Re: Dimension 9100 running XP home edition won't boot up at all

I have the exact same situation with a 9100.  Did you ever get yours back up and running?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
clam34
1 Copper

Re: Dimension 9100 running XP home edition won't boot up at all

yes I did, but I am not exactly sure how.

I left the XP cd that I got from Dell in the disk drive and continued trying to start it up over the course of a few days at random. Eventually, one day I powered it up and it began to boot... and I just went from there.

leave the cd in.. keep trying to start/restart... turn off the power, turn it back on... etc

good luck

0 Kudos