Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

January 13th, 2014 02:00

Downgrade from 8.1 to Win 7 on my 15R new laptop

Last month i bought a new 15R laptop (i7 core), with touch display. all that windows 8 is realy nice, but only for tablets, not for work.
i can't get use to that.. there is any way to downgrade without pay for that ?
i have Product Key of my windows. i try to contact with microsoft, they told me to ask dell. now i'm trying to contact with dell and i can't.
someone can help me to know how i do that ?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 13th, 2014 03:00

Hi XdavidT,

If your system was purchased with Windows 8 PRO operating system only then you will be able to downgrade to Windows 7 for free. If you have a Windows 7 license you can contact microsoft to check if you can transfer the license.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2014 07:00

As Ravi said, your system must have shipped from Dell with Windows 8 Pro (blue/purple COA sticker).  If it did (unlikely), then you can install Windows 7 Pro and activate with ANY Windows 7 product key you have access to - it will continue to run legally under the downgrade rights afforded you by Windows 8 Pro.

If your system shipped with Windows 8 (not Pro), then you do not have the right to downgrade to a previous version of Windows as part of the Windows 8 license, and you must purchase Windows 7 to run it on this machine.

No Events found!