Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2017 20:00

Download Windows 7 - No disk but have product key

My hard drive crashed.  I put in a new one but don't have any disks to reinstall Windows 7.  I do have the product key.  I cannot seem to find anywhere on the Dell website to download an install package by providing my product key.  Is this possible?  Thanks

532 Posts

June 16th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

We’ll surely try assisting you within Dell support boundaries. Please provide us with the service tag/ express service code via private message, so that we can check for more details and assist you. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag.

We’ve asked for the above details to check if the image is available on our support site. The download file will only be available if the system is in warranty. If the image is not available, we request you to contact our Out of Warranty support team to check for available options. Do let us know the region you are located in, so that we can guide you to the right team.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2017 14:00

jmcleer,

You can try downloading your Dell Recovery Image Download

If you are still having issues, then post back here and DELL-Lijo J  will be happy to assist you.

Rick

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 17th, 2017 23:00

Your system's BIOS has a System Licensed Internal Code (SLIC) of Version 2.1 which will work alongside a generic Dell OEM System Locked Preinstallation Key resulting in offline BIOS based product activation. To download Windows 7 and clean install see here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/ 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Dn67p5RYuEyfVp28ElpGF 

July 12th, 2017 12:00

may  I  add a  "Me Too" to this POST ?  My HDD crashed carrying with it the RECOVERY Partition ... If I could locate an ISO file of WINDOWS-7 Home Premium OA  I could MOUNT it & add my GENUINE Microsoft PRODUCT KEY & be back in business ... of Course DELL wants to SELL me a $19.99 disc & make me WAIT several weeks to receive the disc in the MAIL ... NOT what I would call CUSTOMER "SUPPORT" ! ???  any suggestions on where to locate this elusive OEM  DELL  File ?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 13th, 2017 03:00

You can Download a Windows 10 .iso from Microsoft and clean install Windows 10 Home using your Windows 7 Home Premium Product Key. See here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#CleanInstall15063 

Microsoft are seemingly making things deliberately awkward with Windows 7 installation media in a push to migrate everyone to Windows 10. The above link gives some Windows 7 options also but they are more convoluted.

November 4th, 2018 08:00

Me too!  I tried sending a PM to Dell-Lijo J but he has PM's disabled.

I am selling an older (6 years or so) XPS 13 laptop that has Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it. I'm 57 years old and spent probably 20 years of my life working as an IT guy, but this is kicking my butt.

I can't find my OEM disk but the product key sticker is under the flap on the bottom of the laptop. I have downloaded a copy of Windows 7 HP and created an ISO of that on a 16GB Thumb Drive. I did this because although there is a recovery partition on the hard drive it seems to be corrupt because it won't let me restore from it. I also download the Dell OS recovery tool from your website and ran it but it says there is no OS images defined for this product (I assume it is looking for this on your website?) to be able to reinstall Windows from. 

So I spent most of yesterday trying to install from this ISO (I've gone into my BIOS and made the USB drive my first boot device, but when I boot from it and get to the part where I say "Install" it gives me the message "a CD/DVD driver is missing" once the install starts. I've tried many different suggestions from various websites including editing the .wim files to add USB3 drivers to it but I still get this message. I've tried all of the options under "repair your Windows installation" etc. but these aren't helpful either.

What drivers do I need to put on the thumb drive to allow the Windows 7 installer to access the thumb drive once the install starts?

Can I download the .ISO from Dell that already has the correct USB drivers on it? 

Help! I sold this laptop on eBay and need to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows to it so I can ship it tomorrow.

Who can I PM my Service Tag/Express Service Code to so I can get some help with this?

Thanks a million!

Dennis

November 4th, 2018 11:00

Never mind guys, I actually resolved this myself. When it asked for me to provide the drivers for the CD/DVD and I clicked browse, I could see the hard drive with the current install of Windows on it, and there was a drivers folder on it. In there was a subfolder called "storage" I just pointed to each of its subfolders 1 by one until one of them finally made the installer happy. What a convoluted PITA that was! 

November 4th, 2018 12:00

After several errors when trying to respond to my first post it finally posted it, TWICE! :(

1 Message

February 13th, 2019 16:00

Hi there, I have a Dell Inspirion 17, service tag: that was upgraded to Windows 10 and now it crashes ones in a while. I tried to download the original Windows 7 OS image from Dell's website but I cannot go any further with Dell OS Recovery Tool. Can you please help me?

Thank  you,

Circuss

1 Message

March 1st, 2019 23:00

Hi my win 7 dell machine crashed and need to recover. How shall I download the bootable OS in usb ? please help. I have service code but should i paste here ?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 2nd, 2019 09:00

What model of Dell?

You can download a Windows 10 Version 1809 ISO from Microsoft and make a Bootable USB. Windows 10 Installation Media will work with your Windows 7 Product Key (this still works despite the initial 1 year marketing). Windows 7 Reaches End of Life in January meaning it will have no more Updates and be an insecure Operating System.

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/ 

1 Message

September 9th, 2019 02:00

i have dell inspiron 1545

core 2 duo t6600, 3 gb ram 320 gb hard disk bought in 2010.

service tag  , bought in india

i have product key but no disk

it came preinstalled with windows 7 home basic

now how to reinstall it

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 10th, 2019 06:00

Windows 7 is End of life and End of all support in JAN 2019.

Microsoft has removed all windows 7 downloads.

There is no support for 10 year old machines.

I would recommend buying a copy of windows 10.

In the usa you can get OEM system builder DVD and install without a key and use the COA key for 7 to activate 10.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-32-350-238

1 Message

October 21st, 2019 04:00

I have a same problem, my hard disk has crashed and I cannot find anywhere to get ISO file of WIndows 7 to download. My laptop is Dell laptop Latitude E6440 and has product key in it. 

Can someone help me find a windows 7 iso?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2019 09:00

Microsoft removed all ISO files even from digital river.

There is no point in using 7 anymore as it goes end of life in JAN 2020.

No Events found!